Jack attack

funleavyfunleavy Posts: 5 Greenhorn
Had a great day on Saturday fishing the mouth of Shark Channel, just a few miles east of Key West. Throwing a zara spook across the channel while parked on the flat, I caught several jacks that felt like tarpon. Even managed to get a double-header. Then the bigger sharks showed up and started eating my catches before I could get them back to the yak. Time to move on

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,793 Captain
    They look like hungry Jacks, nice photos and report.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,343 Officer
    Nice.
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Good practice. Tarpon will be there soon. Bigger sharks too.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • funleavyfunleavy Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    There were some big tarpon moving through there, just not nearly in the numbers we'll see later this spring. That bigger jack nearly broke me (and my rod) when he first took off. He took a bunch of line before I eventually wore him out and brought him in. Then when the sharks showed up they started chasing my catch, so I would reel them in faster trying to save their lives. I lost two - on the second one the shark took the whole fish and the spook. That's how my day ended, being spooled by a big shark. I can think of worse ways to end a day...
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,793 Captain
    Atleast you got your lure back.
    Atleast you got your lure back.

Not that last one, he took it and all my line and headed toward Cuba. After all that action it was worth the sacrifice
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 274 Deckhand
    Very nice report, thanks. Sounds like fun - wish I could have got in on that. I keep wire leader in my yak, just in case big sharks show up and I want to try to wear one out.
    I use wire leader as well, but still it's probably only 20-30 lb test, and only 12". 90% of my fishing is on the surface for cudas and jacks and big mangroves, all of which works just fine within those limitations. But those sharks were big and aggressive, and scary! The channel is deep and the tide was dumping out nicely, and flat I was on was only a foot or two deep - I would have loved to walk and wade as I fished, but those sharks made my mind up for me.

I did learn the lesson to bring a bigger rod with me, whether it's for the sharks or the big tarpon. I'll have another date with them soon :fishing