Need help finding bait...

Finding a little here and there but can't seem to dial it in. Will be fishing UTB this weekend (Gandy area to CCC). Been trying around HF on the NE side but not overly successful. Also fishing St. Joeseph's sound and found a little behind Honeymoon and a few behind 3 rooker. Is it out on the beach or what?
HELP ME!! :huh

Replies

• Bottomfinder#1Bottomfinder#1 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    The bait is think around honey moon island along the beaches. Greenies, ballyhoo, mullet. Get out there early
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 659 Officer
    Tommy, what kind of bait are you looking for? Threads and Shad for Tarpon? I know they are VERY plentiful under the HF on the Tampa side between the spans, nearest the EAST bound lanes. Didn't net any white bait mixed in with them though? Might find white bait near Gandy either by Weedon Island (look near tripods) or by Picnic Island pier. Crabs were near center span of HF. No bait near CCC... at least for me.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,499 AG
    Bait has been tough in UTB this year. I'd check HF and south.
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    I saw some off the Bayside Marine Flats awhile ago, was on the outside of Anclote a couple weeks ago and nothing there, seemed odd.

Have had a cranky engine this spring so really haven't hunted it.
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • SeaBoss180ccSeaBoss180cc Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Tons of white bait available off Anclote. Just anchor and chum 'em up... I use the Purina Tropical Fish Food. Just start throwing bombs out there and you'll see millions of pinfish. Just wait a bit and you'll see the tell tail swirls start to show up at the back of the boat. coax them a little closer and launch that net. I was getting 4" pilchards every throw... Some ballyhoo mixed in too...
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,302 Admiral
    Went of of CRB the other day, saw one small pod on the way to the skyway. Big threads were at the skyway, they were deep and needed a sabik to load up.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • KnotTommyKnotTommy Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Thanks guys, let you know what I find!