Home Photography Corner

Time to upgrade

GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,737 Captain
My Canon T3 and the two kit lenses have served me well, but I'm ready to upgrade. I like filming with DSLR and for my budget range of $500-600 I'm looking at the Canon T5i very hard.

I'd like to stay with Canon equipment being that I have a bunch of older lenses that fit the EOS. Does anyone have any other suggestion or experiences with similar camera bodies like the T5i?

Thanks

Replies

• SLSSLS Posts: 181 Deckhand
    I have a Canon 60D I'm not familiar with the T3 or T5i.
    All of my digital cameras have been Canon, and if you have Canon lenses it makes sense to stick with Canon.
    It's a quality camera.

I took a quick look and see the T3 gives you 1,280 x 720 (720p HD)
    The T5i gives you 1,920 x 1,080 (Full HD / 1080p)

You may find 1,920 x 1,080 impracticable and unnecessary in the real world.
    720p HD is more than adequate on your computer or on Youtube

What else does the T5i offer that the T3 lacks?
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,737 Captain
    SLS wrote: »
    I have a Canon 60D I'm not familiar with the T3 or T5i.
    All of my digital cameras have been Canon, and if you have Canon lenses it makes sense to stick with Canon.
    It's a quality camera.

I took a quick look and see the T3 gives you 1,280 x 720 (720p HD)
    The T5i gives you 1,920 x 1,080 (Full HD / 1080p)

You may find 1,920 x 1,080 impracticable and unnecessary in the real world.
    720p HD is more than adequate on your computer or on Youtube

What else does the T5i offer that the T3 lacks?

Thanks for the response SLS...

In addition to the full HD (1920x1080) the T5i also offers an external mic jack for filming, which the t3 does not. It also has an articulating display screen like a modern camcorder has.

I believe there isn't much difference between the two cameras when it comes to photos though. The frame rate might be faster...but it is still a cropped sensor and 18px.

Would love to move into a full frame camera body, but the price range is the killer.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Glenn,
    if you're not opposed to buying very good used equipment, I'd suggest the canon 7D...
    KEH has them in "like new" condition for $600....
    that way you get a very good still camera with an excellent filming capability...
    read dpreview's review of it....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Glenn,
    if you're not opposed to buying very good used equipment, I'd suggest the canon 7D...
    KEH has them in "like new" condition for $600....
    that way you get a very good still camera with an excellent filming capability...
    read dpreview's review of it....

tim

Thanks Tim I'll look into that
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    If you like that shallow depth of field & and that bubbly bokeh, better go full frame.

Also this. It is all about Canon DSLRs and "filming." >>>> http://cinema.planet5d.com/

I hate shooting video on a DSLR, but that is just me, and unfortunately I do it a lot. If I were a Canon shooter, I would do what I have to do to get one of their dedicated video cameras that will accept the DSLR lenses but again, that is just me.

I recently helped a guy shoot some wildlife footage with a PL Mount Sony camera. We used an adapter to get from PL to Canon mount......very nice. On that trip, I also used a Canon C1, is that what it's called? We had a TC and a 500mm bazooka on the front of that. Shot it from a monopod and a tripod. A bit DSLR-ish but definitely better.

I get it you are budget constrained. The point is Tim is right. the tools are out there is you want them badly enough.

What sort of stuff are you shooting? Artsy stuff or stuff where you lock it onto f/8 or f/11 and go?

One last point. Tokina DSLR lenses are great for video. The now make some of the lenses with a gear if you are using a follow focus on a tripod or shoulder rig. >>>>>> http://www.tokinalens.com/tokina/products/atxv/

The following video was shot entirely on a Tokina 12-24 on a crop sensor Nikon. The updated lens is the 12-28 at the link above.
    If you like that shallow depth of field & and that bubbly bokeh, better go full frame.

Also this. It is all about Canon DSLRs and "filming." >>>> http://cinema.planet5d.com/

I hate shooting video on a DSLR, but that is just me, and unfortunately I do it a lot. If I were a Canon shooter, I would do what I have to do to get one of their dedicated video cameras that will accept the DSLR lenses but again that is just me.

I recently helped a guy shoot some wildlife footage with a PL Mount Sony camera. We used an adapter to get from PL to Canon mount......very nice. On that trip, I also used a Canon C1, is that what it's called? We had a TC and a 500mm bazooka on the front of that. Shot it from a monopod and a tripod. A bit DSLR-ish but definitely better.

I get it you are budget constrained. The point is Tim is right. the tools are out there is you want them badly enough.

What sort of stuff are you shooting? Artsy stuff or stuff where you lock it onto f/8 or f/11 and go?

One last point. Tokina DSLR lenses are great for video. The now make some of the lenses with a gear if you are using a follow focus on a tripod or shoulder rig. >>>>>> http://www.tokinalens.com/tokina/products/atxv/

The following video was shot entirely on a Tokina 12-24 on a crop sensor Nikon. The updated lens is the 12-28 at the link above.

....did your hear that? That was the sound of most of this info going way over my head...:huh

No but really what a wealth of knowledge on the forum!

I'm mainly going to be using it for outdoor hunting and fishing footage, interviews, photography, and what ever else comes along. I know a few outdoor film makers and photographers who have done very well with the T5i and for the price of a new one it would be a step up from my current camera...I think...

One reason I like filming with the dslr is the depth of field factor and zoom choices. I was going to buy a semi-pro camcorder but so many outdoor filmmakers are going to dslr that I decided against it for now. I shot half of my Ozello fishing film on the T3 and then shot some 'ROUGH' turkey scouting footage with it also. I'll post the links below...

Don't mind the first part of this footage because I was screwing around with it in Premiere Pro CC trying to bring out the low light conditions. It's not easy filming and shaking from the cold and turkeys coming in.

[video=youtube_share;cQPJfcVfDA8]
    You got them called in didn't you? It is dark in there. I bet focus was a *****. Maybe a small monopod would be helpful.
    You got them called in didn't you? It is dark in there. I bet focus was a *****. Maybe a small monopod would be helpful.

Actually didn't do any calling aside from some owl hoots. I ended up kinda in between two different flocks. Yeah focusing was no fun on that tiny screen. The tripod I use for the woods is just a cheapo that I camouflaged and it does ok...
    Glenn wrote: »
    Thanks for the response SLS...

In addition to the full HD (1920x1080) the T5i also offers an external mic jack for filming, which the t3 does not. It also has an articulating display screen like a modern camcorder has.

I believe there isn't much difference between the two cameras when it comes to photos though. The frame rate might be faster...but it is still a cropped sensor and 18px.

Would love to move into a full frame camera body, but the price range is the killer.

But you're more about video I assume. right?
    Tim had a good point about used equipment from a reputable source.
    When buying from the manufacturer used equipment is repaired, cleaned, and recalibrated.

I don't understand how a full frame gives better shallow depth of field over a cropped sensor lens.
    The particular lens selected, the aperture you use, and distance to the subject are factors, not the sensor size.

Dito on the Bokeh.
    Bokeh is what the out of focus area looks like.

Bokeh is totaly lens dependant and has nothing to do with the sensor or sensor size.
    SLS wrote: »
    I don't understand how a full frame gives better shallow depth of field over a cropped sensor lens.
    The particular lens selected, the aperture you use, and distance to the subject are factors, not the sensor size.

Dito on the Bokeh.

Bokeh is totaly lens dependant and has nothing to do with the sensor or sensor size.

Not true. It is a geometry thing. Here are two consumer-grade articles I could find quickly. I can find some more technical info from the engineering press, if you wish.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/full-frame-vs-crop-sensor-cameras-comparison-depth-of-field/

https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2014/05/the-bokeh-effect-how-sensor-size-affects-background-blur/
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    from Craig's link....

http://cinema.planet5d.com/video/the-gunfighter-a-period-western-meta-comedy-you-have-to-see/

I just missed spewing hot coffee on my keyboard....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Good eye, Tim. Funny.
    Yeah focusing was no fun on that tiny screen.

You might consider an HDMI external monitor, like a 5-inch or 7-inch Small monitor. they are great. https://www.smallhd.com/

Or a ninja which will also allow external recording. Also great. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1033457&gclid=CO-qrIPYossCFc5ZhgodSpUG_g&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&A=details&Q=
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    Glenn I have a new, never used 7D with a 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens I will sell you for $600.00. PM me if your interested. I am in Jupiter, FL.
    Not true. It is a geometry thing. Here are two consumer-grade articles I could find quickly. I can find some more technical info from the engineering press, if you wish.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/full-frame-vs-crop-sensor-cameras-comparison-depth-of-field/

https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2014/05/the-bokeh-effect-how-sensor-size-affects-background-blur/

No, no need for other references I see what you're talking about.
    As a technical point you're comparing both full frame lenses and crop sensor lenses on a crop sensor camera.
    The difference between both types of lenses is a 1 stop difference in DOF between the two lense types.
    Kind of apples and oranges to what I'm talking about but you're right on that point

The point I was making is picking the right lens, aperture, and distance from the subject is what counts more than sensor size.
    JI Snook wrote: »
    Glenn I have a new, never used 7D with a 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens I will sell you for $600.00. PM me if your interested. I am in Jupiter, FL.

Man that seems like a to good to be true offer! Wish you were closer so I could see it in person...

Screamin' deal right here. This can be a win, win for someone. Better do this deal, Glenn.

Snook. How many shutter actuations?
    Maybe a couple. I have other DSL's so I never used this to shoot. Your right, this is a screamin deal. The body alone is worth more.
    Man that seems like a to good to be true offer! Wish you were closer so I could see it in person...

If you have C.I.H I can meet you in Orlando Saturday. I am traveling the next 3 weeks.
    If you have C.I.H I can meet you in Orlando Saturday. I am traveling the next 3 weeks.

Won't be around the Orlando area on Saturday...