Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

"Taking care of the boat" day(with ???)

4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,018 Captain
As bad as I wanted to hit the water, I decided to stay home and service the boat.
Changed all fluids and filters, hit all electrical with corrosionX.
My question is, Is there a way to change the oil filter on a F115 Yamy without making such a mess???
Took me over an hour to mop up all the spilled oil under the cowling.:banghead
The drain plug is bad enough, solved that with a 2' section of 1 1/2"PVC to the bucket. Worked good.
"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
For they always bring me tears
I can't forgive the way they rob me
Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine

Replies

• FishesmanFishesman Posts: 418 Deckhand
    I'm not sure if this will work on an F115, but on my F225 I break the filter loose with a strap wrench and then slide a large ziplock bag over the filter. Unscrew the filter the rest of the way by hand using the bag. Once the filter comes off, let it fall to the bottom of the bag along with any residual oil that drains out. It helps to keep the motor tilted up while doing this. After a little practice with this method I have very little mess to clean up after an oil change.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    After draining it, tilt the motor up high and turn It hard over the opposite way and let the oil drain out of the filter, then remove it. I just did mine and I didn't spill a drop.
    :shrug
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    ^^^ Doesn't the filter have an anti-drainback valve making this technique ineffective?
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,018 Captain
    Both good ideas, Thank You.
    Never serviced this motor before. So now I know.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,018 Captain
    Jim311 wrote: »
    ^^^ Doesn't the filter have an anti-drainback valve making this technique ineffective?

Filter is horizontal, I can see now that if I cranked it hard over to the filter side that it would help for sure.
    I think you are correct with the anti-drainback, my truck filter is straight up and it is still full when I pull it off.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    Jim311 wrote: »

I'm not really sure. You may be correct. But I did forget to add that I crank it back over to the filter side for removal. Lol. Ooops. Sorry. But 4ward figured that out.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org