Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Ponce Inlet......Whose coming with me???

Sunday and Monday looking beautiful to finally hit some deep water. Hopefully fish cooperate. Finally gonna take advantage of being on salary and hopefully hook onto some big boys. Monday heading out of Ponce.

Anybody heading out this weekend? Hope to see some reports posted Sunday night

Replies

• TEAMUSTEAMUS Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    How was your trip? Hopefully good.
  • Fool's GoldFool's Gold Posts: 169 Deckhand
    Let us know how you did......
  • KGonzalez23KGonzalez23 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Let us know how you did......

Well got out today. Picked boat up from mechanic Friday and was promised that all was good and checked. Tested in test tank and ran great.

Left home 5am. Get to boat ramp 6:30am in New Smyrna. Launch boat go to start no dice. Motors turn over but do not fire. Turning over fairly slow though. Thought mechanic left something on and killed batteries. Try to jump nothing. Remove battery from my buddies diesel truck, nothing. A few other boaters try to jump, nothing. Call Sea Tow as Im a member not only is there no Capt on the water till 9am but they do not assist issues at ramps. Hmmmmm. By now its 8 or so and Im pissed. Load boat back on trailer, pull cowl and right away harness unplugged in front of motor😠😠😠. Plug it in, fires right up.

Its 10 am now roughly after we launch and park truck. Head for inlet. 1 beep alarm goes off. Oh boy here we go. Reset alarm and keep idling. No more alarms lines all rigged screw it we are heading out.

Head for Party Grounds. First spot we drop and immediately ARS. Stayed there roughly an hour catching 1 after another largest hitting 12 to 15 lbs. Get tired of that and head out to Mango holes. Reach there and dish for anothsr hour or so. Did not manage to bring anything up but did get hit 3 or 4 different times where it had my rod doubled over. Penn 6/0 reel could not gain any line and ended up cutting 80lb leader. If I had to guess.....Big shark.

Turn around and head back to Party Grounds. Played with ARS for another 2 hours reeling them in one after another. Literally bait would hit bottom and before you count to 5 it was fish on. Smallest was 5lbs or so. Largest 15 to 20 pounds.

Finally 5pm we packed it up and headed in. Gorgeous ride out and gorgeous ride in. 30mph both ways smooth ride with the tabs down. Motor ran great. Boat performed well. And got us out and back safe. That is furthest out so far since purchase. Next time may head a bit deeper. For sure planning West Coast and Jupiter trip
  • superdave1155superdave1155 Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Lol, sounds like more than a few of my trips. Keep at it, the good ones are great and the bad ones are still usually better than the couch. Nobody is interested in couch stories.
    Lol, sounds like more than a few of my trips. Keep at it, the good ones are great and the bad ones are still usually better than the couch. Nobody is interested in couch stories.

Just sucks to be catching the quantities and size of ARS we are catching and have to throw them back. I did catch one that was tagged by FWC, that was pretty cool
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,561 AG
    Nothing worse than sitting at the ramp at 7am with a boat that won't fire. I probably would have trailered it back to the house or mechanic while smoke was coming out of my ears. Glad you got it going and had a good day on the water.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • TEAMUSTEAMUS Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Congrats! Sounds like a good day once you got out.
    Nothing worse than sitting at the ramp at 7am with a boat that won't fire. I probably would have trailered it back to the house or mechanic while smoke was coming out of my ears. Glad you got it going and had a good day on the water.

I have been trying to stay positive but can assure you the smoke was brewing.