Hogs and residual scent theories

BAJAOKLABAJAOKLA Posts: 35 Deckhand
A friend and I worked off and on the last two weeks building a new elevated enclosed hog/deer stand. I will post some photos of the actual stand later for those new to hog hunting who are interested in what other hog hunters are using for stands. The base is about seven off the ground and we placed an old lo-boy feeder about 40-50 yards in front of the stand. We also placed a trail camera nearby to monitor the activity. There was lots of hog sign in the area so I figured it would only take a few days for the hogs to find the feeder. Last Thursday a couple of friends went with me to look over the new area - we weren't going to hunt this site that day so we weren't worried about leaving our "scent." We all know that hogs and deer have a keen sense of smell and that most people highly recommend using some type of scent blocker in the woods. I do so routinely and I think it does help. However, in the back of my mind I always wondered just how long scent lingers around a site and how much does it scare the game away. I had to go back to the new site the next day to do some more work so I pulled the camera card. As you can see on the date stamping we were on frame at 3:39 pm and the hogs showed up at 3:30 pm - eleven minutes later - and stayed for about 2 hours, feeding on the corn. I'll continue using scent blocker routinely but I thought this was an interesting take on the theory of lingering residual scent and how it affects some animals.

Replies

• AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    I can tell you that when you get a mature boar come to that feeder, it is going to rip that motor right off. That motor is way too low. If they can get their nose to it, it is gone
  • BAJAOKLABAJAOKLA Posts: 35 Deckhand
    You'll note that I said this is "an old lo-boy feeder" that will be replaced this coming week by a hanging feeder. The feeder was a free salvaged unit so we made do with what we had for awhile (at another site.) The real problem with this type feeder is that it is way to low to the ground and does not get a good spread - the corn is too concentrated under the feeder. However, the worst problem is that it's a "raccoon magnet." Even though the unit has a "critter guard" racoons can and do climb the legs and turn the spinner. There's been plenty of big boars and sows under this feeder and they have never once caused any damage - not saying it can't happen - but it's simply a badly designed unit (it my opinion.) It is a very heavy duty feeder and hog damage ii not one of it's shortcomings. Raccoon damage is more of an issue.
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    I say this about me when it comes to figuring hogs and THIER patterns ect out....The more I know them the less I really know about them..I think that they have me/us dialed in...
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • 22donk22donk Posts: 425 Deckhand
    I would say the degree of pressure would dictate the reaction to residual scent. But even that is subjective.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,899 Captain
    Nice write up.

My experience with scent: There are some days that I can sit in the stand and I will hear the hogs coming, and then they give a low growl and run the other way. Other days, the wind can be blowing right to them and they do not seem to smell me. I do not change my scent control either day, its just odd to me... I have had the same experience with deer as well.

This past weekend(last days of deer season for me).. I washed all my clothes in scent block soap and dryer sheets. I used the spray stuff on all my layers of clothes. I was climbing out of the stand when a button buck walked within 10feet of me. Other days, I just hear them blow and never see them. It can be odd trying to figure them out!
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,079 Captain
    Longest I've ever been able to observe an animal directly react to residual odor was a spike buck that reacted to where I had walked about 7-8 hours previous. I was hunting with someone else on public land, wearing rubber boots, and using no cover scent on my boots. We were downwind of him and a couple hundred yards away. He crossed our trail where we walked across the cut and spooked when he hit our tracks.

I think there's a lot of factors that goes into when an animal pays attention to your scent and when they don't.
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,495 Captain
    I think you are putting too much thought into it. It is a hog, they are not that smart. 99% of the time they only have two things on their minds and that feeder covers one and what comes to it covers the other.
  • ShineShine Posts: 804 Officer
    22donk wrote: »
    I would say the degree of pressure would dictate the reaction to residual scent. But even that is subjective.

Agree, they know what the feeder is and associate it with humans. Deer and hogs will have an idea of how old a scent pattern is: ie, what is called "blended scent." These are the things that go with your presence, like crushed vegetation, disturbed soil, etc. Scent blockers will do little to affect an animals awareness of your activity. Hogs will sort out how often you come in, time of day -- and most of all, level of danger. You shot and, or kill one and you will see a big behavior change. Mix it up, move feeders -- use a climber -- be unpredictable.

Last, those hogs look like they really did just "fall off the melon truck!" All those colors tell me they are not too many generations in the woods. That may be an opportunity.