Boat Motor Troubleshooting

Motor is a 1998 90hp Yamaha.

So the last two times out on the water I have had the problem where my boat motor will not want to start and run after a few times of it starting and running just fine. For example, I go out and she starts up perfectly. Run to get some bait, runs good. Shut her down for about 30 mins then she cranks up good again and runs good again to the fishing spot. Stay at the fishing spot for about 2 hrs, go to start the motor and it does not want to start. Once she does start, the engine will shut off when put in gear. After tinkering with the idle and reving the engine allot it will finally start acting normal again and runs like it never had a problem.

I don't think its a fuel issue as I use premium and startron it often. My thoughts are something to do with the carbs being dirty, stuck, etc.. Anyone have any other suggestions. I have not done any sort of diagnostics to it so I know nothing but what it is doing periodically out on the water.

Thanks!

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,656 Admiral
    Could be a sticky float in the carb like you said.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Mako224Mako224 Posts: 452 Deckhand
    Try draining your two lower carb bowls. See what comes out. May have water or junk in your lines. Have you drained the water separator or replaced anytime recently. Does it show any rust?
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 934 Officer
    Mako224 wrote: »
    Try draining your two lower carb bowls. See what comes out. May have water or junk in your lines. Have you drained the water separator or replaced anytime recently. Does it show any rust?

this ^ ... just cleaned mine (2001 90 hp yamaha), and replaced fuel lines.
    drained my gas (i think it might have water in it from sitting too much, too long, even though ethanol free only used).
    I had this happen back in 2010 when it was cold and wet and did not get out much over fall and winter. Sounds like similar or same problem.
    good luck
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 934 Officer
    oops
  • JoeCJoeC Posts: 91 Deckhand
    i had the same issue with a 130 2000 Yamaha. It would start fine at the ramp and after I would let it sit at the fishing spot for 30-60 minutes it would fire and turn over but would not stay running. It ended up being the carbs. Either have them rebuilt or replaced. I replaced them and my boat is running better now with the new carbs better than it has in a long time. Good luck.