Home Conservation Forums

Laws on keeping/releasing dead fish?

NewwtNewwt Posts: 116 Deckhand
I never really thought of this since I have not had this problem yet. But after seeing someone keep a dead snook on a phone app I started to wonder.

What is the law on fish who die or are not able to be resuscitated after a catch? say if its gilled or gut hooked and your at the bag limit or the season is closed. Do you have to release it still for nature to take over or are you able to keep it?

I can see both ways but if you get stopped I'm sure there is no way to prove what happened. I'm sure this has probably been discussed but couldn't find anything in search.

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,008 Admiral
    If it is legal to keep then keep it if it is not then toss it, pretty simple really, crabs gotta eat too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • pslbuddhapslbuddha Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I'm basing my statement on experiences seen a few years back. Several years back when we had the cold snap that shutdown Snook season, there were several snook seen dead on the water. People in Jensen were dip netting them up and trying to keep them. You could tell alot of them were shorts just by looking. Even though I tried to explain to them you could not keep them, the idiots kept scooping them out. It was not until FWC showed up and informed them all about the rules. Instead of issuing citations, he made them throw them all back. I dont know if the idiots learned anything except to come back later when FWC wasnt there.

Simply put, FWC is going to see you in possesion of a fish. They are going to measure that fish and if it's not within the acceptable limits, you can get in trouble. They are not going to perform an autopsy to figure out how the fish died.
  • NewwtNewwt Posts: 116 Deckhand
    clear enough for me, thanks!
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,248 Officer
    There was a situation on Lake Okeechobee where people were netting dead crappie that were by catch from commercial catfish netters. They were charged and found guilty of taking fish on other than line and hook.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    One of the reasons snook is closed during the cold months is for that exact reason. If they die from cold stress and they are closed then they are just crab food. Possession limits and so forth will always apply. Some fish are only allowed to be taken with hook and line as stated above. I would not do it personally, I am not that hungry.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,454 AG
    surfman wrote: »
    One of the reasons snook is closed during the cold months is for that exact reason. If they die from cold stress and they are closed then they are just crab food. Possession limits and so forth will always apply. Some fish are only allowed to be taken with hook and line as stated above. I would not do it personally, I am not that hungry.
    I really wish you CCA folks would do some research..lol

http://myfwc.com/media/310547/EO_10_02_TempSuspBagSizeMethodTakeSaltFish.pdf
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • pslbuddhapslbuddha Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »

As stated, I'm only going by what the FWC officer was telling the anglers at that time. I do not recall if this temporary stay was in effect at that time. I doubt that temporary stay is still in effect so why bring up something that's over 6 yrs old?

Besides, I guess the real question should be, would you really want to take a chance in eating the deadfish especially when you have no idea when and how it died.....fresh is best : )
  • Back in the 80's during Blasting in the ICWW for Port Everglades Expansion, we netted over 1800 snook killed by the detonations.

The option was throw them in a dumpster and FWC allowed us to keep them all.

USCG would hold back traffic for safety during the blast, a not let them by until we gave the all clear after netting all the dead fish. No one wanted anyone to see all of them.

Crap I cleaned snook nearly every day for 90 days!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,454 AG
    pslbuddha wrote: »
    As stated, I'm only going by what the FWC officer was telling the anglers at that time. I do not recall if this temporary stay was in effect at that time. I doubt that temporary stay is still in effect so why bring up something that's over 6 yrs old?

Besides, I guess the real question should be, would you really want to take a chance in eating the deadfish especially when you have no idea when and how it died.....fresh is best : )
    Just pointing out some facts, sir.

Don't doubt...:wink
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,676 Admiral
    At the old Bombing Range at the edge of the Glades west of Ft' Lauderdale bout 40 years ago FWC lifted all restrictions on size and bag limits when we were in a drought and it was drying up bad.
    I was catching bass and such with a steel yard rake. Folks had garbage cans full of fish , Lot's of folks..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »

I was referring to the general rules of the snook not the special rule that was implemented in order to “clean up” dead fish that were plied up in canals and stinking to high heaven but, it doesn’t surprise me that you would try to twist it some how.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,246 AG
    I have actually had FWC roll up on me as I was releasing an undersized trout that had died and went belly up right behind my boat. Try explaining that one away....
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    I have actually had FWC roll up on me as I was releasing an undersized trout that had died and went belly up right behind my boat. Try explaining that one away....

You shouldn't have to, you did the right thing, what's to explain? Fish mortality after release is an accepted fact. Some fish die, not all survive, the law still does not allow you to keep it just cause it didn't make it.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
    With smartphones you could take a video as proof, then what would the fwc say with evidence??? Leo chime in please.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk