Info on Garmin Rino 655T

GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 807 Officer
I'm looking for a FLORIDA usage report on the communication aspect between RINO users. Says it will send the GPS position of another user so you can see your position relative to your hunting buddy. Been reading reviews..some GREAT some not so (line line of sight limited)

I want to know if anyone has used this feature and what distances and accuracy was obtained. At 7 bills/14 if I buy 2...I want to know what I'm getting in return. If it's not greater than 1/4 mile (radio distance) it ain't worth it

Appreciate any feedback

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/two-way-radios/rino-655t/prod82799.html

Replies

• doghunterdoghunter Posts: 469 Deckhand
    I would think it would work like the Garmin Alpha (dog tracker). The Alpha will track Alpha machines, as well as the dog collars. The info Garmin puts out says it will track for 9 miles, but in reality with the antenna that comes with it it will reliably track about a mile. Don't know if that helps or not.
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 807 Officer
    doghunter wrote: »
    I would think it would work like the Garmin Alpha (dog tracker). The Alpha will track Alpha machines, as well as the dog collars. The info Garmin puts out says it will track for 9 miles, but in reality with the antenna that comes with it it will reliably track about a mile. Don't know if that helps or not.

So in the Florida swamp heavy cover you can track your dogs out to a Mile accurately? That works for me if it can get a signal through the heavy cover.

MANY THX!!
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,617 Captain
    You probably already know this, but there are smartphone apps out there that can do the same thing. The disadvantage is that of course the government, Google, Apple, and whatever big corporation can also theoretically see what you're doing. But if your main concern is just knowing where everyone is, that's the way to go. My wife and I can see each other's position at any given time.
    You probably already know this, but there are smartphone apps out there that can do the same thing. The disadvantage is that of course the government, Google, Apple, and whatever big corporation can also theoretically see what you're doing. But if your main concern is just knowing where everyone is, that's the way to go. My wife and I can see each other's position at any given time.

Actually I didn't know that! I am googling what the best app is and will test for accuracy!! THANKS..You just saved me $1400 bucks if this works!!!
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 469 Deckhand
    GRIZZL wrote: »
    So in the Florida swamp heavy cover you can track your dogs out to a Mile accurately? That works for me if it can get a signal through the heavy cover.

MANY THX!!
    Yes, down to the yard. And with the longer antenna, I can get 2-3 miles pretty reliably. Not sure if the Rino uses the same type of system or not though. The only downside to what Bullfrog is talking about, is I would think you would need reliable cell service.
    doghunter wrote: »
    Yes, down to the yard. And with the longer antenna, I can get 2-3 miles pretty reliably. Not sure if the Rino uses the same type of system or not though. The only downside to what Bullfrog is talking about, is I would think you would need reliable cell service.

Your ALPHA DOES have a bigger antenna. Trying to see if I can load 24K Maps like the RINO. I agree, cell service is key to Bullfrog's suggestion. I'm going to test it at Bull Creek scouting. If I don't get a cell tower back where I go then I *think* I'll go to the ALPHA if I ca get my detailed maps on it

Again, THANKS for the input from All!