Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Blind hog...

Will find an acorn...is what they say.
Well, after a hard day yesterday down south of Wabasso ( 3 snook a trout and a lady) yesterday...I was willing to try something else.
I saw Palm Beach Pete ramping in at Yacht club and we were both inlet bound. I wanted to look to see if any Blues and Macs were around to take my brother out to catch. He's almost 76 Y/O now and can't do the continuous throw and reel. The " Snow Moon" really had the tide boiling in and when I got to monster hole....the big ground swell and low tide had it breaking in a confused manner.....one set would break way outside....but if you looked away...the next set would clean your clock! I saw two guys in a Sea Pro stand it on end...and I got a good look at the underside of the hull. I picked off 3 little blues but had to make a few fast moves to avoid trouble and just didn't think some little some blues were worth the risk.
Decided to go north a little...water was aweful. Went to one spot and picked off a little snook....Decided to get closer to home and tried an edge and pulled a decent Trout. Well, I was thinking to run south...but it was getting late...decided to look at a winter spot and I was rewarded.....A 6 spotter....

20160222_103810_zpsjvgg2xhs.jpg

20160222_103834_zpsrobmyasf.jpg

Notice the color CAL....even with that the vis was no more than 6 or 8 inches....this thing must have had it go right under its nose.

10:40 and that makes #7....and as hard to believe as it seems...I am actually ahead of last years pace...I caught #4 on the 24th last year. With the conditions as bad as I have ever seen them....I can only hope for the best for the fishing to hold up. :crossed
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Good to see you today. I went out the inlet and turned north. Found weakfish in the same spot as last week. hooked around 20 along with some small blue fish. I did not fish in the lagoon.
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 473 Deckhand
    The water in Garcia has less Turbidity, than the Lagoon has. I did both today.... Wabasso to Vero and the water was junk.
    It looks like many lagoon guys, are Bass fishing this year.
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,065 AG
    Yesterday was a stink-fest...worked hard to catch 2 trout..not sure why I went back to Sebastian...Ugh!

Today, I went back south to hide from the wind...which was whippin'. I wound up getting 6 snook ( 2 mid twenties...others small) and 3 trout ( nice top slots )...and a lady & jack....but could not find a Red.
    Headed in at 11 since I knew the weather was going to tank.... We had tornado warning within an hour or so of me getting home.

Not sure what this cool down will do......hope it cleans up the water. :crossed
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I took a few days off...cold weather and didn't feel up to par.
    Got out this morning and wanted to try the spot I found the other day....Seems like it will be a decent winter spot...pulled 4 nice slot trout.
    Started looking for some "conditions"....and wound up a long way south..a Loooong way! I did get this guy blind casting.

20160228_093751_zpsdypmwjmf.jpg

Kept looking around and saw 2 other Reds...but no dice with them. It got late and i wanted to try and finish up the slam so i hit a couple spots heading toward home...was hoping the warm up at noon would make something click...and I tried really hard for this little joker.

20160228_122940_zpszxuje6z9.jpg

So...that's #8

Maybe a little warm up with the water will bring back a few more snook.....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Went out this afternoon to scout around. Fished near JI. After lots of casts, ended up with 2 Reds blind casting on a Mirrodine. Zero bait around, crap visibility and no bumps, boils or busts. Might be time to sell the skiff & take up shuffleboard.....:rolleyes

Highlight of the evening was a porpoise chasing a big Snook all over a flat. The ol' Snook kept him at bay for a good 2 minutes flying back and forth across the flat...sometimes the Snooks back out of the water. The wake from Flipper was enough to toss my skiff pretty good when they got close. As usual.............the porpoise won.
  • HookupAndGoHookupAndGo Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Really hoping the water will clear up. I have been land-locked for a bit but drive across the causeway up in Melbourne daily -- water looks terrible. Not sure how far south the water is this bad, but have to hope something gets in clearing.

At least you guys are out -- and finding something to catch!
    Really hoping the water will clear up. I have been land-locked for a bit but drive across the causeway up in Melbourne daily -- water looks terrible. Not sure how far south the water is this bad, but have to hope something gets in clearing.

At least you guys are out -- and finding something to catch!

Well...it isn't clean in Sebastian. There was some decent water in Wabasso a couple weeks back...but it is pretty junky now.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled