Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Need advice on an "entry" level 7" MFD for the boat

Good evening. Looking for some help. Rigging a 22' bay boat and need to put new combo unit on, but wanna stay at, or below $1,000. The two I'm looking at are the new, Simrad Go7 XSE, and the Raymarine a78. Does anyone have any insight to pros/cons of these units? If not, would you recommend something else, and why? I'm looking for ease of use, good gps, and ability to clearly see bottom.

Thanks in advance for any help

Replies

• gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 657 Officer
    I have the 741xs. It's a decent machine, but touchscreen features can be a pain when running or rough conditions. I have the traditional sonar and down-view chirp transducer, the 'down view' feature sucks. I only use the traditional sonar and gps. It does make decent marks and I've taken it to about 400' with success. I tell you though, I wouldn't buy it again. Garmin is in some legal trouble with Navionics, and I read somewhere they cannot sell the units due to this.
  • zerepenerzerepener Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    While I have no direct experience with the 7" displays, I am very happy with my Lowrance HDS. If you are ever considering an autopilot, it integrates directly into the front end and is probably the lowest cost and easiest to use autopilot around. Just muddying the water for you but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Autopilot has been the single best feature that I have installed on my boat. The simrad unit may be functionally the same since they are the same parent company.

Good luck choosing,

Rene
  • MarkSGMarkSG Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I think it would be tough to beat the Garmin 74SV or 73SV right now. They are not due out for another week but it is capable of CHIRP, Down VU and Side VU.
    I have been waiting for the 94SV to come out for a month now.
  • captfields85captfields85 Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    I run the Raymarine a98. Same system, just different size screen. I really like my user interface and the sonar and down vision are spot on. I currently run the Navionics + and Platinum + chart cards in mine and all together it is one of the sweetest setups I have ever owned.