Home Photography Corner

Time for some BIF

Been way too long since I have been out with the long glass. It was about time. All photos from Merritt Island NWR on one of my top five days ever. The populations of all species were out and active. I saw more Spoonbills on this day than the rest of the days in the ten years I have lived in FL. I could only have wished for a prettier brighter day. None the less it was quite a day.

1. Roseate Spoonbill
4daou2Sl.jpg

2. American Avocet
uYgbVXWl.jpg

3. White Pelicans
qKglyYzl.jpg

4. White Pelican
ZeJkbk4l.jpg

5. Roseate Spoonbill
zzmFKLil.jpg

6. Scrub Jay
TdXWq8Fl.jpg

Replies

• mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Craig,
    they are all good but I have a soft spot for the spoons...
    the whites are pretty nice as well, however I haven seen any inshore this year like usual...
    don't know why...

I'm thinking of doing a road trip to the st. marks refuge next month...
    that has always been a great place to shoot as the birds start ramping up to fly north...

thanks for the images....

IMG_5098ppc.jpg

IMG_3179ppC.jpg

IMG_2390C.jpg

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • redsgurlredsgurl Posts: 555 Officer
    Im off all next week, and I plan to head over the bridge. Its so hard to drive thru there every day and not stop. I did see some whites yesterday. Just north of the Blackpoint turnoff. Haven't seen the influx that is normally here this time of year yet. Maybe next week. These are all nice.
    Suz

Capybara's are vicious and should not be let alone with small children. In-laws are another matter.............
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    Most excellent. Hope to be able to work a trip in myself soon.
  • DucksterDuckster Posts: 548 Officer
    My buddy and I have been arguing about the spoon bill vs. Flamingo for quite some time he swears it was all pink and flamingo but the 3-4 birds were in flight. I say spoon bills but in his research flamingos migrate south and could have seen migrating birds this was inshore gulf waters in pasco county west coast. Any thoughts or opinions this has been an ongoing friendly debate for a few years anyhow highschool buddies and I have since forgot what time of year but we think it was fall. Great pics by the way wish I had the talent amateur here for sure
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I especially love the Scrub Jays. I live in a development with some land set off as a Scrub Jay preserve. Unfortunately I don't see Scrub Jays there. I am glad that someone can find and photograph them.

I don't recall seeing too many spoonbills on the Kissimmee River but Thanksgiving weekend we saw many. I wonder if they are making a comeback.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Duckster wrote: »
    My buddy and I have been arguing about the spoon bill vs. Flamingo for quite some time he swears it was all pink and flamingo but the 3-4 birds were in flight. I say spoon bills but in his research flamingos migrate south and could have seen migrating birds this was inshore gulf waters in pasco county west coast. Any thoughts or opinions this has been an ongoing friendly debate for a few years anyhow highschool buddies and I have since forgot what time of year but we think it was fall. Great pics by the way wish I had the talent amateur here for sure

Probably Spoonbills. Two weeks ago was the first sighting of a wild Flamingo in Florida in a long time. It was on Naples beach.

http://www.news-press.com/story/life/2016/01/28/beach-pink-flamingo-photographs-bunche-beach/79452500/
    I don't recall seeing too many spoonbills on the Kissimmee River but Thanksgiving weekend we saw many. I wonder if they are making a comeback.

I had an long time birder tell me a few weeks ago this is the best Spooonbill season in 20 years. They are all over the place.
  • DucksterDuckster Posts: 548 Officer
    My thoughts exactly
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,907 Admiral
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    Kingfishers are **** near impossible to catch in flight for me.

Poor shot of a Northern Gannet that wouldn't cooperate and fly closer to shore.