Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

One of those days.....NG

Picked up the boat yesterday after not having been out for a month. Got home, trailer tail
lights out. Naughty words. Replaced the bulbs. Hooked up the battery charger and starting battery was almost completely discharged. Charged the trolling motor battery and then left the starting battery on all night. 5am and rods, cooler to the boat and off we go. Stopped at the 7-11 @ Collier and US41 and filled the truck/boat with gas. Went to put in some gas additive and spilled it on my hands/shirt/shorts. A few more naughty words. while still at the gas station......
My accounting professor (old bass tournament fishing partner) taught me to roll over the big motor before putting it in the water to avoid clogging the ramp. Good advice as I went to bump the big engine and heard the infamous "click". By now, no naughty words, just figured it was not my day to fish. Back to the house, rods/boat put away.
Now looking at getting an AGM starting battery so maybe NEXT weekend the fishing Gods may bless me.

Maybe should have put this on the Boating section instead of fishing reports.

Until the battery is replaced, save some for me!
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,262 Officer
    Sorry about that. I thought I had a bad day until I read this. Fished hard, three small snook. I now think I had an excellent day. I hope you get back out soon.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,929 Admiral
    Wal Mart is about 10 miles away straight down the road...grab the Boy a box of donuts while you grab a new battery...
    If the day is planned and it's nice weather...I'm headed out.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,517 Captain
    --aren't boats fun? Seriously, the best upgrade most can do for their rigs is to properly install a second battery with a good battery switch that allows you to isolate one batt - until it's needed as either a stand-alone or combined with batt#1. With the cost of the second batt and the switch, plus a bit of additional cabling you should be done at around $150 all told. I won't rig a skiff without a dual battery setup (and that's not including however you're fixed for trolling motor...). Hope this helps.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • nobleonenobleone Posts: 102 Deckhand
    That has happened to me "one time". I always start the motor before I head out to the ramp. That's pretty philosophic about the "not my day to fish", we all get philosophical if we fish long enough.:)

Lookin' forward to next weeks report!

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

• nightflynightfly Posts: 505 Officer
    I hate having boat problems at the ramp. I always start my engine in the driveway before I leave just to make sure it will turn over. One thing I always carry with me now is a jump pack its saved me on a couple of occasions.