Home Tropics

First Trip to Abacos Looking for advice

Off the HookOff the Hook Posts: 59 Deckhand
Planning a trip to Hopetown in June 2016 and will be leaving from Jacksonville. Have a few questions and welcome any and all advice.

I am planning on going from Jacksonville to either Cape Canaveral or Ft. Pierce on day 1 and then to Hopetown on Day 2.

Is it possible to make the trip to Hopetown in one day? I have been told i will need to clear customs at either Spanish Cay or Grand Cay and will top off the fuel while there.

Obviuosly, sea conditions will have a lot to do with being able to accomplish this.

What are some recommendations as to where i should clear customs, get fuel, etc...

thanks,
33 Grady White Express
Twin F350s

Replies

• WynWyn Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    If the seas are good and you want to fish, Port Canaveral to Grand Cay is the way to go. If the seas are not so good, go to Ft Pierce and hit the bank to Spanish to clear customs.
  • BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 186 Deckhand
    You should go from Jax to Ft Pierce. Then ride across to Spanish to clear and on to Hopetown. I believe its about 210 statue miles from FPI to Hopetown taking the bank. I would recommend the bank not the outside. Assuming your taking your Grady you can make it there in one day without issue averaging 25-30. I have run from Stuart to there several times without issue. We stop at Spanish to clear while having a frozen drink and lunch. Consistently the easiest customs I have ever been to. Your boat will have enough fuel to get you to Hopetown in one shot.

Some of the better and less expensive fuel in the Abacos is at Treasure, so if you make a day trip there one day you should top off. Spanish is one of the most expensive and Grand is even worse than Spanish. In the peak season its not uncommon for any of them to run out of fuel so if your can get some its almost always a good idea.

Enjoy
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
  • Off the HookOff the Hook Posts: 59 Deckhand
    thanks for the information guys, it is much appreciated.
    33 Grady White Express
    Twin F350s
  • Off the HookOff the Hook Posts: 59 Deckhand
    BullMarket,
    would you take the inside to Spanish or come inside once you got to Spanish?
    33 Grady White Express
    Twin F350s
  • BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 186 Deckhand
    I would take the inside all the way there. From FPI there is a shallow sand/grass area in the middle of the bank that you have to go south of then you can shoot to the north side of Great Sale Cay and follow the tracts down the chain. Its a beautiful ride from the time you hit the bank all the way down.
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com