looking for lead?

I am curious, to all of you who make your own sinkers/jigs. Where to you get the lead from? I am looking for clean lead, any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• dilligaf84dilligaf84 Posts: 875 Officer
    Check your local scrap buyers most will sell it to you for what they are paying for it.
  • XafXaf Posts: 987 Officer
    I recently bought a 65 lb lot of clean, soft lead ingots from Lymans on Ebay for $.09 an oz. including free shipping. That's about as inexpensive as I have been able to find it. The reason for the 65 lb lot is because they use one of the postal service flat rate boxes and that is the amount the box will hold. It was packed well and the mailman (felt sorry for him) even brought it to my door. On Ebay you can buy from 5 lbs up to hundreds of pounds of lead . You just need to compare deals and figure out how much per oz they are asking. I've used wheel weigts and would much rather use clean soft lead.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,322 Officer
    I saw this ad...........don't know anything about it ..........except his price sounds very reasonable.

If I was looking I would check it out.

http://treasure.craigslist.org/spo/5391611842.html

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    Flint, Michigan.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    good clean soft lead pours the best..stuff that's mixed or contaminated (newer wheel weights) is a headache , that really needs to be smelted well...the lead I get is from roofers and plumbers , roof flashing is real good stuff or old shower pans , so is shooting range lead , after it's been smelted.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,321 Officer
    Thanks for the replies. I am currently working with a local scrap yard to buy lead.
  • HunterSThompsonHunterSThompson Posts: 60 Deckhand
    lead roof boots and sink weights. ask a plumber buddy if you have one to save them up for you and trade him jigs/weights in exchange if he fishes. otherwise pay the man...
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 392 Deckhand
    might try some of the independent tire shops for old tire weights.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • GatorCityGatorCity Posts: 309 Officer
    Any plumbing supply house will have lead roof flashings for sale. That is about the cleanest lead you will find. We also sell 5lb lead ingots, but the roof flashings are easier to work with.
  • Rippin_lipsRippin_lips Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Check the bottom of sebastian inlet, found many anchors down there on a clear day