Take a Kid Fishing...14, 16, 18, 20, 20+ Mangos 1/30/16

We FINALLY got a decent looking weather weekend. I had talked with a buddy about getting his son out. Had it planned all week. NOAA and other sites kept saying it was good then Thursday it started looking a little shaky. Friday still saying 2-3's. No issues with all adults but didn't want to beat up a kid and discourage him so we decided to scrap the idea.

Tried to put together a crew for Sunday for a deeper run. Tried probably 20 people and couldn't get anyone to go. Made some dinner, started a little fire with the wifey, turned on a movie...and dreamt of fishing.... So, I checked the forecasts again. It never got as bad on Friday as predicted and the 4:00 pm forecast on Friday said 5-10 with 2's for Saturday...dying down to 5 with 2' or less...

Hmmm...lets see if my buddy wants to go. Text him...he replies he was looking and thinking the same thing so game on...

They get to my house at 8:15 and off we go. I had some frozen dines, a gallon of frozen white bait, and chum blocks from a prior trip. Picked up some shrimp as a back up plan. Head to the fort Desoto piers to get some white bait.

First throw, 2-3 dozen nice baits. Second throw maybe another dozen or so. Lets try over there I say....we nutted it there last time. My buddy throws a perfect pancake....But it must have gone right over a big rock or something because that net was going nowhere. Water too cold and tide too strong to try and swim in and look. So, not a good start. Not very much live bait and a reasonably new net lost to the bay.

So, off we go. Get to our spot about 6 miles out and anchor up and start the game. Put a chum block about 10' off the bottom at the bow of the boat. Start chopping sardines up and chumming from the top at the back of the boat.

Super slow going. Not like we have been seeing where it was game on immediately. But after about 15 minutes Mr Mango found our chum slick and they start coming over the sides.

My buddy lands a decent little 12-13" and is all excited and I tell him we can probably do better. He looks at me like I have 4 eyes but puts it back. Then the fun started. His son got a nice 16+ incher. In the box you go. Then it was pretty steady for the next couple hours.

Some gags joined in on the fun too. I was able to land an 18" but got taken to the woodshed by something much bigger. My buddy landed a 23-24" that we had to let go.

Fished the same spot the whole time. Had to re-anchor a couple times because the wind and tides changed. Probably caught 25 keeper mangos and ended up with a nice box for our inshore limit. The biggest was this one. 21" maybe a little bigger.

20160130_133527_zps2zqux8rx.jpg

Here is the overall take...

20160130_144959_zpshhvkf4ii.jpg

Some pretty solid work for the day. Had a great day with my buddy and his son who was a real sport. Fishing is a tough thing to do for a kid but he hung in all day and had a great time.

Same ol' story. LONG 20 lb flouro leader (10'+) to a 1/8 oz jig head with a white bait on it. I did use some shrimp but not many. Chummed pretty hard with the frozen sardines. Even got some using those but vast majority of them were on the frozen white bait. Used some live ones too but ended up dumping most of them when we were done. Dead bait worked fine...

Tight Lines. Get out there yesterday was nice but today...looks BEAUTIFUL...
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,936 Moderator
    Another great report, nice job.
  • Thumper363Thumper363 Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Very nice! great report
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,022 AG
    Well done Paul, or should I call you capt Mango?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,233 Officer
    Nice.
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    Nice job! That kid already has another bait in his hand ready for another fish.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,906 Captain
    He did but he played in the bait well as much as he fished....but he had a good time.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 687 Officer
    nice work !
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'