ICY WATER!

Went down the Little Homosassa yesterday about 10:30 to try for some trout or reds. Caught four 14 7/8" trout in the river. Water temp about 57 degrees. What the heck, try the flats. Water temperature a frigid 53 degrees on the incoming tide. No fish. O.K., let's try some deeper holes off to the side. Found some nice mid slot trout and two mid slot reds in about an hour of pitching the 1/8th ounce jig with an orange plastic shrimp. All the fish for the day on that combo. As I had a request from my wife to "get some fish" for a good friend, brought home four trout and the two redfish. Had one redfish sprinkled with spices for dinner cooked scale side down on the grill. GREAT way to cook redfish and mullet. If you haven't tried cooking reds or mullet this way, give it a try. Outstanding!!
SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?

Replies

  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Sounds like a good way to cook it Tks. The water was 59 out to 38' yesterday.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 637 Officer
    THINKICAN wrote: »
    Went down the Little Homosassa yesterday about 10:30 to try for some trout or reds. Caught four 14 7/8" trout in the river. Water temp about 57 degrees. What the heck, try the flats. Water temperature a frigid 53 degrees on the incoming tide. No fish. O.K., let's try some deeper holes off to the side. Found some nice mid slot trout and two mid slot reds in about an hour of pitching the 1/8th ounce jig with an orange plastic shrimp. All the fish for the day on that combo. As I had a request from my wife to "get some fish" for a good friend, brought home four trout and the two redfish. Had one redfish sprinkled with spices for dinner cooked scale side down on the grill. GREAT way to cook redfish and mullet. If you haven't tried cooking reds or mullet this way, give it a try. Outstanding!!

    That is my favorite way to cook reds. They just simmer in their own juices. Outstanding!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    That is my favorite way to cook redfish on the grill, can't be beat
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 555 Officer
    Thanks for the recipe. Mouth is watering now.
  • jimmyslim1jimmyslim1 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    We call that "redfish on the halfshell" where I'm from.
    I'm from the gubment, and I'm here to help!
  • rose jackets67rose jackets67 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    jimmyslim1 wrote: »
    We call that "redfish on the halfshell" where I'm from.

    That's what we called it in Louisiana too.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,882 Captain
    Nice fishing on a cold day! Now you have me wanting some deep fried mullet and a side of godda cheese grits and some corn bread and some fried okra and..........!!!! Oh, and a nice cold margarita!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GatorCityGatorCity Posts: 309 Officer
    I'll have to try that way to cook them. I usually cook on grill in "fish in a bag", wrapped in tin-foil, no skin. I put the fillet on sheet of tinfoil, put a pat of butter on top of fillet, fresh squeezed lime juice, finely chopped cilantro, some Everglades seasoning, and some Janes Crazy Mixed Up Salt. Wrap everything up and put on grill. YUM.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Ruff One wrote: »
    Nice fishing on a cold day! Now you have me wanting some deep fried mullet and a side of godda cheese grits and some corn bread and some fried okra and..........!!!! Oh, and a nice cold margarita!!

    Now your talkin'. :cool: ^^


    Thanks for the report Thinkican !
    "You'll get your weather"
Sign In or Register to comment.