Home General Paddle Craft

Sailfish Smackdown and Live Baits

Hey all...just hoping to get some recommendations/experience from ya'll...

I'm planning to fish the Sailfish Smackdown next weekend. Never caught a sail from my kayak (hobie outback) but should be fun to go out and give it a try. I live in Jupiter and mainly use the yak for fishing the river/inlet. Just trying to figure out how to keep gogs alive and how many I'd need for a day's worth of fishing.

I usually use a 5 gallon bucket with a bubbler, and can keep pilchards and mullet alive pretty much all day if I refresh the water, but never tried with gogs. I've been contemplating setting up a bigger pump system in the bucket but not sure if that's overkill...

Seems like the rule of thumb is 1 gog per gallon, so 5 max in the bucket with bubblers. For those that fished the tournament, was that enough for a day's worth of fishing? or did you move to drifting dead bait/bottom fishing when the live baits were gone?

Either way, looking forward to meeting some of y'all next weekend. Should be fun.
Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
www.makologic.com
[email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...

Replies

• FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    5 gallon bucket with air bubbles is fine. I would change the water every 20-30mins. 1 gal = 1 gog. Depending on the size of gogs i wouldn't put anymore than 5. Fresh lively bait is the key. Depending on the bite 5 gogs per day should be OK but anymore than that the chance of them surviving is slim.
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 628 Officer
    cool thanks man! I've seen your posts in the past, appreciate the voice of wisdom. done a ton of sailfishing up here from the boat but from the yak will be a whole new experience. Looking forward to giving it a shot.

Just curious how many fishermen they usually have in the Sailfish Smackdown?
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    MakoLogic wrote: »
    cool thanks man! I've seen your posts in the past, appreciate the voice of wisdom. done a ton of sailfishing up here from the boat but from the yak will be a whole new experience. Looking forward to giving it a shot.

Just curious how many fishermen they usually have in the Sailfish Smackdown?

I would say average is about 60 anglers.