Louisiana Redfish Trip 1/20-22

A buddy of mine that guides in the lagoon told me he was going to be doing redfish trips in LA for this winter and asked if I wanted to go. So without hesitating I decided to go. I have never been to Louisiana and have only seen pictures of those fish. Well, this trip did not disappoint. The plan was to get a fish on fly for me, and to get an absolute slob for my friend. First day started out raining at camp so we waited until about 8:00 to make the drive to the ramp, and then made the run out. We were greeted with sunlight and clean water, but a lot of wind to start out with. We started down a shoreline and all of a sudden my friends spoon gets absolutely hammered about a rod length from the boat. Everyone saw the fish and man was it a monster, it was big enough to scare me. She unfortunately didn't get the hook set and it didn't end well for her. Well, we kept going and eventually went up into a creek with a pond. In the middle of the creek it was deep so my friend throws into the deep hole, well, she hooks up. This is her first fish of this size so it was interesting to watch her fight this fish. Eventually she figured out how to use the rod to wear the fish down quickly and got him to the boat with a little coaching. Get the fish boatside and in the boat he comes. Ended up being around 20-22lbs. Well, we went a little further and looked on the point and before I could make the shot an absolute giant spooked off the shore. So we left that fish and went back out to the outside and started losing sunlight with the cloud cover. I still had the fly rod in my hand as I was set on getting a fish on fly. Well, started working and I saw one glow about 2 rod lengths from the boat. Blew the first shot, then the second shot just wasn't quick enough. My buddy saw the fish and his jaw just dropped. He thought they were just 2 oyster shells because the fins were so far apart but it was actually him flaring up. Really cool thing to watch. After that I had kind of given up on the fly rod for the day. We went and blind casted some of the oysters around and that paid off for me. I got one in the boat around 20 lbs or so. After that fish I had my confidence back to get the fly rod back out. We had some water so we decided to go check some ponds just to see what we could see. There was no sunlight what so ever, so just as we were about to go back out of the pond up pops a massive tail. Well, we go towards the fish and he starts tipping again, by this time I'm ready to make the shot and hook up. So we wait for him to pop up again for the shot, but he doesn't. I took a blind cast at the last spot I saw him and he spooks out the back side of the boat and goes to the other side of the pond. So by that time it was day over. No sun, a little rain moving in, time to go. Went back to the camp for dinner and some drinks, made it a great day.
Day 2:
Forecast looked bad for the first couple of hours of the day so we got another late start, woke up and the weather looked beautiful, not at all what they were forecasting. We decided to hurry up and head out to take advantage of the good weather we were gonna have before the front started to push through. Well, wind was beautiful, light was good, NO water was moving. For the first part of the day we didn't see any fish. Around 11 my friend finally hooks up and it's another good one. He was out deep. Well, while we were fighting this fish some fog rolled in and ate up all the sunlight we had. It stayed with us for several hours and made for super tough sight fishing conditions again. I put the fly rod down feeling pretty defeated and grabbed the spinning rod and started blind casting. By this time it looked pretty bleak for the rest of the day. Well, we pushed up into a creek my buddy had never gone into before and it was looking pretty fishy. I focused on the shoreline and my friend focused in the deeper channel of the creek. We spooked one fish out of a little pond and ended up working farther back into the creek. In one of the deep holes my friend busts about a 25lb black drum, really clean fish, very pretty. So after that we worked our way into another pond into the creek and just kind of worked around it. Well, the sun finally came back out as I made a cast and I get about 1 crank on the reel and all I see is something explode on my spoon on top. Turned out to be about a 15lb red that had quite a bit of energy. Another really pretty fish. After that fish was released we saw the front starting to push through and made the call to head back to camp. Caught several very nice fish and had an absolutely great time. If anyone ever wants to go hunt those big fish on fly or spin, give Captain Jesse Register of Flyin' High Charters a call! Great guide and an even better guy! Took great care of us for the few days we were there and the place we stayed was great! He's also doing some tarpon trips in South West Florida in May as well. This dude did everything he could to get us on fish. Couldn't be anymore thankful! Here's some pics from the trip.

IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0176.jpg
IMG_0154.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg
http://s567.photobucket.com/user/SeaPro19_album/media/IMG_0137.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
image_19.jpeg
image_18.jpeg
image_17.jpeg
image_16.jpeg
image_20.jpeg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:fishing

Replies

• HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,226 Officer
    Awesome slobs! Would love to go over there some time.......maybe this year. I understand Aug-Sept is the best time for topwater when the water clears up a bit. Your friend will be spoiled on those fish.
  • StandOutI2StandOutI2 Posts: 544 Officer
    Awesome slobs! Would love to go over there some time.......maybe this year. I understand Aug-Sept is the best time for topwater when the water clears up a bit. Your friend will be spoiled on those fish.

Not positive about that, I know there were several fish that would've gladly run down a popper fly had I know they were there. They were hitting the baits pretty high up in the water column for us. Wanted to try topwater but didn't want to put the long rod down lol. Definitely get over there! It's a fantastic fishery.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 639 Officer
    Crazy! Those fish are jaw dropping.
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer

Nov/Dec are the best months for the bulls. That's when they push from offshore to the marsh. You also have more stable weather.
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Awesome trip. Love that place. Where were you? Most of my guide buddies fish Hopedale after Christmas and Venice before.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,533 Captain
    They have a great fishery over there....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    Awesome trip. Love that place. Where were you? Most of my guide buddies fish Hopedale after Christmas and Venice before.

We fished Hopedale actually.
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 468 Deckhand
    Cool trip. Those were some studs. Gotta do that someday.
    Biggary16 wrote: »
    Cool trip. Those were some studs. Gotta do that someday.

You should! It's so worth the money to do it.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,702 Moderator
    I sense a combo tuna/redfish trip possibly in the future .. ? I may be wrong , but. :rolleyes

Looks like you and the guide made the best of the conditions. Good stuff.
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    I sense a combo tuna/redfish trip possibly in the future .. ? I may be wrong , but. :rolleyes

Looks like you and the guide made the best of the conditions. Good stuff.

Now that sounds fun!
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,228 Officer
    Beats 8-9" sea bass, grunts ;) Nice!