Sweetwater fishing report 1/22

Hadn't fished with my buddy Steve out in Hawthorne in a while and made plans to fish with him a few weeks ago. He'd said the warm weather lately had turned off the speck fishing, but loaded up the boat with some minners and and cane poles and a few dozen shiners and rolled out anyway. The weather was great, pretty warm compared to what we've had lately, and only a light breeze that came and went. The specks weren't fired up but we caught probably 35 or so and kept 25 good sized ones, the largest being close to 2 pounds, and the best 15 fish we caught weighed 23 pounds total. We caught some on jigs as well but most on minnows.

yyhaBI8l.jpg

My best fish of the day came on a cane pole with 2LB test line. This bass weighed in over 5 pounds.

5EEs9kAl.jpg

After we'd caught plenty of specks we started flipping live shiners out on deep ledges near heavy cover and were rewarded with several nice fish. I'd never fished with shiners before but it was a lot of fun.

042xKOUl.jpg

iRXJjpjl.jpg

qB6Ml7Al.jpg

Replies

• Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Nice.
  • KeatonBchFisherKeatonBchFisher Posts: 297 Officer
    That is a fine fish fry waiting to happen.
    Keaton Beach Rental https://www.vrbo.com/780025

Yankeetown Rental https://www.vrbo.com/619425
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,885 Moderator
    Rodman ? Nice mess-o-speck .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nice mess of specs...... We have been doing pretty good on the specs at lochloosa on jigs....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • JDPJDP Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Doctor Steve knows how to fish Sweetwater pond! Nice fish.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    I guess you know him, small world. I've known him since I was a kid but we started fishing together around 10 years ago. Once I got into saltwater fishing we started fishing together a little less, but we keep in touch and fish together now and then and always have a good time. There aren't a ton of people I can stand sharing a boat with all day, but he's one of them. Ha.
    Yep, he used to be my vet. Started fishing with him after he retired. Taking him to explore a few creeks tomorrow.
    Are you John? I know he has a friend that fishes Suwannee or the shoe a lot. I like both areas a whole lot so I always enjoy hearing what you guys catch when you're out that way.
    Yep
    Cool, we oughta get together and compare notes sometime!