shell mound..

Would like to fish shell mound in the next couple weeks..motor wise im good I have a small jon boat with a mudmotor on it so the low water shouldn't be a issue..my concern is I have a 2wd truck..is the ramp concrete or dirt?

Replies

• GreenwingGreenwing Posts: 106 Deckhand
    There are 2 ramps at shell mound. The one in the camp ground is concrete to a point then mud. This ramp is where most of the airboaters launch. The second ramp is more of a kayak, canoe launch next to the pier. It's all mud, but I have seen trucks launch in the mud and get out. Personally, if I were you, I would go out there on low tide without a boat and get the lay of the land. No water is one thing, but there are certain times where low water is really no water for long stretches.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,926 Captain
    Agree with the above post. At least explore on a rising tide. The "boat ramp" is hardly a boat ramp at any sort of low tide. I'm honestly not too familiar with the capabilities of mud motors but the canal that runs out to the main water is a mud flat for 50 yards on any lowish tide so be careful! I have come pretty close to being stuck in my Gheenoe once.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 649 Officer
    Greenwing wrote: »
    There are 2 ramps at shell mound. The one in the camp ground is concrete to a point then mud. This ramp is where most of the airboaters launch. The second ramp is more of a kayak, canoe launch next to the pier. It's all mud, but I have seen trucks launch in the mud and get out. Personally, if I were you, I would go out there on low tide without a boat and get the lay of the land. No water is one thing, but there are certain times where low water is really no water for long stretches.

Agreed. Shell mound gets skinny. The area surrounding the camp ground (concrete) ramp becomes pure mud at low tide -- cant even move in a kayak. I learned that lesson the hard way.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,444 AG
    Would like to fish shell mound in the next couple weeks..motor wise im good I have a small jon boat with a mudmotor on it so the low water shouldn't be a issue..my concern is I have a 2wd truck..is the ramp concrete or dirt?

Is your mud motor an SPS frame? If you have enough HP on it, probably not an issue. Wear waders so you can help your boat in and out of the ramp without getting wet. I think you posted your motor on the Big Bend forum before, boat is aluminum and light. However, I have the same boat I hunt out of (not the one I fish out of), that frame has a skeg that does not like sand bottom and if you can't get your prop in the water, you'll be pulling instead of power loading. I actually honed off some of my skeg so I can get a better bite in sand and really shallow water. But that was for Merritt Island and not for fishing. My mud motor wears my old **** out. I fish with an outboard with jackplate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    During winter (and especially should wind be from the east) low tide at Shell Mound can mean little to no water.

Avoid very high/high tidal coefficient (full or new moon), pay attention to wind direction, launch/load out mid ebb and mid flood tides and you should be okay. As for the ramp at the elevated walkway/fishing platform it's not concrete but I've never seen anyone back so far out that they've gotten stuck.
  • roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 553 Officer
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Is your mud motor an SPS frame? If you have enough HP on it, probably not an issue. Wear waders so you can help your boat in and out of the ramp without getting wet. I think you posted your motor on the Big Bend forum before, boat is aluminum and light. However, I have the same boat I hunt out of (not the one I fish out of), that frame has a skeg that does not like sand bottom and if you can't get your prop in the water, you'll be pulling instead of power loading. I actually honed off some of my skeg so I can get a better bite in sand and really shallow water. But that was for Merritt Island and not for fishing. My mud motor wears my old **** out. I fish with an outboard with jackplate.

Yes..I've run in mud before where when you look back all you see is a trench in the mud from the prop..the key is to never let off the gas lol..I'm not trying to get stuck out their but id like to start fishing that area..that is the closest ramp to me from north ocala..
    [Disclaimer: I know nothing about mud motors or the type of watercraft best suited for mud motors]
    The near-shore waters at Shell Mound are generally more dark and murky than light and clear. From the primitive launch at Shell Mound toward Hog Island there are oyster and sand bars running more or less east and west. These bars are evident at lower tides and at higher tides are submerged - but in some spots not by much.
    One day at the primitive launch at Shell Mound when the water had the bars covered my attention was caught by a 14’ – 16’ boat, with a woman in the bow and a man in the stern piloting a tiller motor, running full throttle north to south between Shell Mound and Hog Island. I thought to myself, “either that guy knows exactly what he’s doing, or…that guy has no idea what he’s doing”. Knowing the hazards there I could only watch intently from shore thinking, “uh-oh this could be ugly”.
    Unfortunately the boat suddenly came to a jarring standstill with the woman in the bow thrown from the boat and the man in the stern falling forward to the deck. As it turned out (to my surprise) neither the man or woman were seriously hurt.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    A mud motor may churn through a soft muddy bottom but what happens when a mud motor encounters structure, i.e., oysters and rocks? How fast can a watercraft with a mud motor run?
  • roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 553 Officer
    I can get 20 mph by myself..hey im not saying its a airboat but it defiantly can do better than a outboard and I see guys post on here about shell mound and I would like to check it out..I understand the tides and wind make a difference in water height so I will plan accordingly..my family pretty much owned ottter creek back in the day and I hear all the old timers talking about the the fishing in shell mound and running nets. So I figured id like to check it out
    Shell Mound can be well worth a visit. In the heat of the summer, if fishing with natural shrimp, the catfish and rays can be more than a nuisance.

To the north the edges of the many islands will hold some nice reds. When the tide is falling or rising the channels and cuts between islands are like highways for reds and trout moving back and forth from/to the open water. Preachers Hole north of Shell Mound can be good, as well as the mouth of Dennis Creek south of Shell Mound.

If for any reason(s) you're not fond of airboats then Shell Mound may not be the most desirable area, especially on the weekends.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,638 Captain
    Mud motors run out of that ramp all winter long. You'll be fine, but always bring waders just in case.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.