Chassahowitzka Fly Fishing Report

The last couple of weeks the fishing has been fantastic. This is my favorite time of year to target Red Drum and Gator Trout. The east winds and low/weak winter tides create a perfect scenario for fly fishing. Two things happen, it compacts the fish and the tides are so minimal it allows the sediments to sink and the water to get crystal clear. Some of our waters stay crystal clear year round but others do not. This time of year even deep in the backcountry it's gin clear. For fly fishing or sight fishing with a spinning rod this is what we want. The Reds are in there usual spots but will get pushed around day to day depending on water depth. Remember Reds like getting shallow but never get to far from deeper water where they can run and hide if spooked. Ive been finding trout in their backcountry winter time holes on overcast days and up in the shallows mixed in with the Reds when its sunny. I always say Redfish are not picky eaters and a good presentation triumphs the "perfect" bait/lure. That being said I've been throwing Gurgler and Kwan Shrimp in sizes 2-6 along with some different small crab patterns too. For Trout I've been throwing a pink or chartreuse Clouser when casting in the deeper holes. When throwing spinning rods i almost only throw a weighted, weedless worm hook with various 3-4" soft plastics as shown in one of the photos.

Replies

• justbilljustbill Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Capt Kyle is a great sight fishing guide he has a great boat and really knows the nature coast. He will pole you until the fish are sighted no trollers so a silent approach is the ticket. I highly recommend Kyle for Fly or Spin. A photo of a recent 31" Red on a recent charter.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,545 Captain
    Great report, neat to see that fly rods can score so well.
  • floridafanfloridafan Posts: 65 Deckhand
    What weight rod are you using? I have a 10 weight that I bought years ago to use out here but have never broken it out! I need to put it in my boat!
  • Shallow SightingsShallow Sightings Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Thanks so much Bill for the kind words. Its always a pleasure to have you on the boat.

Floridafan i am using 7, 8 and 9wts. I go for the 7wt in nice conditions but the windier it gets the more rod i grab. A 10wt is a little much for reds, trout, snook etc. but who cares give it a try.
  • naterznaterz Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Awesome! I can't wait to get some reds and trout on the fly! I just moved here, grew up out west, can't wait to figure out the saltwater side!
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Sweet. Glad the water down there has cleaned up for you. I can't catch a break up north of you. Fortunately I know where they are and the big ones have showed up but it is either blowing 15 knts with a lot of chop or dirty from the several days of wind. Need several cold day with out wind.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,935 Moderator
    naterz wrote: »
    Awesome! I can't wait to get some reds and trout on the fly! I just moved here, grew up out west, can't wait to figure out the saltwater side!

Welcome aboard naterz ! Looking forward to your reports.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,824 Captain
    It tickles me to read > "Fly Fishing Report" on our Forum! Thanks for the awesome report Capt. Kyle! I have flyfished and tyed flys my entire life! I hate to date myself but that over 50 years of collecting "dead animals and feathers! Unfortunately I can't participate near as often as I like to due to several health issues which have me using a spinning rod but I hardly ever go out w/o at least one long rod just incase conditions are favorable! I salute you for showing our members that it can be a blast when things come together!
    I have been shore bound since late Nov. and am chompin at the bit to get back out there again!! Keep those rodz bent my friends! I'm hoping that you make this a regular report? If so you will definitely get me motivated! Hmmmm> Pink Clouser for trout> I had better hit the vice before my next trip!!
    Oh> Awesome catch Bill! That thang is a bruzer!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!