What a way to start the new year

Last year was one of the best years ever for Central Florida deep sea fishing. All indications are that 2016 will be even better. 3:00 P.M. Friday, January 8, for the first time in months it's time to challenge the mighty amber jack. The crew of Hubbard's Florida Fisherman ll, Captains Garett and John, as well as Chef Tammy, and our very experienced, dedicated, mates, Will and Rich, are as anxious to start the new year off as we are. Let's go!
1_zpsc8vlyqsm.jpg
It's always an honor to have young people join us on these overnight adventures. After all...They Are Our Future! Joining us today, fishing out of Lakeland, Florida, are Brian & Yesenia.
2_zpsrz0lcp9b.jpg
As we cross under John's Pass Bridge
3_zps0ldo1eu6.jpg
we are concerned about the leading edge of a cold front due to hit us early Saturday afternoon with lightning, high wind, rain, and heavy seas. Here is where a 72' long, 25' wide catamaran comes into its own. By Sunday evening a sever 'Arctic Blast' will drop our temperatures all the way down to the low forties. But we are ready for anything. 'What a way to start the new year!'
1_zpsizwb5aey.jpg
On the way out we troll for kings and bonito. Bonito are excellent bait. After a Chef Tammy meat balls and pasta dinner it's bunk time. We want to be ready for the many fights sure to come. First up, the hard to fool mangrove snapper. What a beauty:
4_zpsvvyosdfs.jpg
Mr. Larry Miller:
5_zpsuhnnqhrf.jpg
6_zpsegxmlhvj.jpg
Mr. Ian Keith. Dr. Keith has a doctorate in finance:
7_zpshml0hex1.jpg
Mr. Justin Perlow:
8_zps6nxfbped.jpg
With sun-up it's time to ice down our mangos. The new year is getting off to a good start:
9_zpsfzjqyqpc.jpg
Cool weather is tuna time. Mr Eddie Sumrall:
10_zpsjuszbyk1.jpg
We are ready for a fight,
and so are the Amber Jacks. Captain Garett's screen has come to life:
11_zpsegiwajtx.jpg
The AJ's win some; we win some:
12_zpsb5khyjur.jpg
13_zpsqgpd1eyo.jpg
14_zpsogzxo34s.jpg
15_zpspdc48pfi.jpg
16_zpskhzb9bkg.jpg
As the front hits, we are more determined than ever. We refuse to even slow down. Now this will slow us down...a cuda attack.
ARS for dinner:
dinner_zps53hm1jfi.jpg
17_zpsyy8azptb.jpg
Luckily we were able to keep the beautiful African pompano away from the ever so sharp teeth of Mr barracuda:
18_zpshwgfo34a.jpg
Mr. Richard Sipple:
19_zpsytscyhct.jpg
The AJ attack continues:
20_zpsyzcorl6r.jpg
21_zpsntdsnwvq.jpg
22_zpsljanoptn.jpg
23_zpsjep7be6f.jpg
24_zpsezxovyxr.jpg
Yesenia gives it everything she has. Unfortunately this fighting young lady looses two monster jacks. Next time, "Those jacks are mine!"
25_zpsxdeenkvu.jpg
Here is one for the good guys:
26_zpskfkh2yf6.jpg
Come gag grouper season, we will be ready:
27_zpsjowpkftq.jpg
28_zps5hi33b9x.jpg
A couple of really proud anglers:
29_zpseespkmy7.jpg
Talk about a beautiful hog:
30_zpsh2p66ako.jpg
Our 'Arctic Blast' may have slowed fishing down a little; regardless, that stuffed full huge fish box looks great:
31_zpsdzhucoet.jpg
As our sun dives into the warm, crystal clear, tropical waters, it's almost 'TIME TO GO HOME!'
32_zpssx25hwjj.jpg
Just one last tuna, 'Way too fast to GAFF!' You will not believe Will and Rich trying to gaff Larry Miller's jet fast tuna. See the action 5:50 minutes into the video at the end of this report:
33_zpsk5yuxcsv.jpg
34_zpsppwyqndv.jpg
After a good night's sleep it's back at the dock for Yesenia, Brian, and the entire Florida Fisherman ll gang:
35_zpsclcgosgx.jpg
36_zpsalhilbwn.jpg
The 'in the money' jack pot AJ hit the scales @ 37.7 pounds, the mango was 8.0 pounds, and the grouper 5.2. Mr Omar Castillo lost a huge, now in season, red grouper to a cuda attack:
37_zpslrj9kzwj.jpg
Sharing with fellow sportsmen/women has become a way of life for me; for many of us. There remains one very important delima I cannot possibly solve on my own. Please share with me your thoughts on which you think is the best...Tammy's breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Breakfast: Hot biscuits swimming in the very best Country sausage gravy; garnished with hickory smoked bacon:
38_zpsyxcypcmd.jpg
Lunch: The number one reason why the Tampa Bay Area always beats Miami as the Cuban sandwich capital of the entire universe...Chef Tammy's pressed, hot off the grill, Cubans piled high with only the best ham, roasted pork, and swiss cheese:
39_zpsyo2egpgq.jpg
Dinner: Hot off the grill center cut pork chops, seasoned to perfection, with all the trimmings:
40_zpswth88hrs.jpg
Speaking of pork chops, have you ever tried all natural pork chops from the wild? Coming very soon, my next great adventure in search of the Florida wild boar hog. On my last hunting trip, thanks to Perry Florida's Two Guys and a Hog Outfitters, I harvested my personal best wild boar; a monster with an attitude, all bad, and the equipment to back it up:
41_zps9rsbqqkj.jpg
42_zpsyqgm2rvt.jpg
Thanks Francisco for guiding me to the hog of my dreams You, sir, are the best.
Our tropical wonderland has so much to offer; so much to share. Please join me on the water and in the field. After all, as great as Florida is; it's the people that make our state what it is.
Please join me in celebrating,'What a way to start the new year' by sharing in this short, action packed, video:

https://youtu.be/CXB28hfSrg4

Bob Harbison Florida Outdoor Writers Association

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,937 Moderator
    Some impressive mangs and pomps. A great way to reel in the new year. Good stuff, Bob!
  • XafXaf Posts: 978 Officer
    Good seeing you again Bob. Wish the weather had been better but I still had a good time.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 2,700 Captain
    Reel Lucky, sir, coming from you that means more to me than you will ever know.
    Bob # 1, it was great seeing you again. So glad you enjoyed our trip. The weather was a little nasty, but we made the best of it.
    rough_zpskmknhm3r.jpg

Mr. Lucky, it would be a real honor to welcome you to the Florida Fisherman ll.
    Bob # 1, please do not be a stranger. It's always an honor having you join us. Bob # 2
  • XafXaf Posts: 978 Officer
    Bob, I'll be back, just not sure how soon. Unfortunately my back just can not take it any more. By Sunday morning I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to walk up the dock. Guess I need to lose some weight and get more exercise. Getting old is a *****.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 2,700 Captain
    Bob # 1, sir, I know exactly what you mean. I just turned 73 and I feel every year. Just completed cataract surgery on my right eye; left in two weeks. Hope to get back on the water soon; hope you can too!
    If we could have seen ourselves thirty years ago as we are now...wonder if we would have laughed or cried?
    Dido on the weight; have been trying for decades. Bob # 2