Back on the water! Part Deux

I've got some water time catching up to do, so went out tonight to see what's around these days. Landed a 41" snook within about 40 minutes of being out there. My biggest one to date. She darn near freight trained me a few times but I kept her off the pilings. God I love fishing. I think I'll go tomorrow morning.

-Mag

I have a picture but it sucks so why bother.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    You should tell us exactly where you caught it:)
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    Pilchard wrote: »
    You should tell us exactly where you caught it:)

I agree. It's the right thing to do…….
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 401 Deckhand
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    I've got some water time catching up to do, so went out tonight to see what's around these days. Landed a 41" snook within about 40 minutes of being out there. My biggest one to date. She darn near freight trained me a few times but I kept her off the pilings. God I love fishing. I think I'll go tomorrow morning.

-Mag

I have a picture but it sucks so why bother.

If you ever need a photographer, I can help. Yesterday, lost a big snook, thought i had line, but did not look and i didnt want to cross lines, and my stupidity cost me $14 of power pro.
    Funny how 40" snook don't get you excited when you have tarpon on the brain...

If the water was 65 degrees, you'd be excited about that fish.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,764 Captain
    Pilchard wrote: »
    Funny how 40" snook don't get you excited when you have tarpon on the brain...

If the water was 65 degrees, you'd be excited about that fish.

You're exactly right. I don't even bother with snook fishing anymore. It's just a byproduct of tarpon fishing sometimes for me.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 524 Officer
    Idk I love tarpon but snook are still my favorite. 40" snook on light tackle are the most fun fish to catch here IMO. If you don't want the snook I'll gladly take your spots and clean the snook out of them, no more annoying trophy snook. :)
    I'll take a 20 lb tarpon over a 20 lb snook all day. Heck I have a good time just seeing tarpon roll and getting all excited. It's like deer hunting in a boat... heart starts racing and you try to be super quiet... then you get a little out of breath because you're trying to breathe slower...ahhhh man I love the tarponz.
    I'll take a 20 lb tarpon over a 20 lb snook all day. Heck I have a good time just seeing tarpon roll and getting all excited. It's like deer hunting in a boat... heart starts racing and you try to be super quiet... then you get a little out of breath because you're trying to breathe slower...ahhhh man I love the tarponz.

Ain't this the truth... I'd rather fish for tarpon all day and not get a bite than catch 100 snook.... There is something magical about a tarpon that I will never be able to explain to someone who doesn't already "get it"...

I really believe that if there is life after death, it will either be filled with daisy chaining tarpon or better yet, I will be a tarpon laid up in the Everglades... I would eat every fly that crossed my nose just to make some angler's day.
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    It's NOT that I don't believe your reports...but pics would make them MUCH more lively.
    Going down the backstreet listening to Blackstreet
    Running around the whole town
    Neighbors yelling at me like, "You need to slow down."
    Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f**k out
    Mow your **** lawn and sit the hell down
    This is what you get for pictures when you're by yourself at night. Tough to tell the size except to compare it to the baitbuster laying next to it.

BTW this was on a full moon during slack tide lol.

F696A28A-6F9C-4BB7-A1DE-95C6018CED87_zpse1i23u5l.jpg
  • jeremy5780jeremy5780 Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    What size leader are you using? I find anything over 30# tends to get stiff and I loose a lot of the lures action.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 524 Officer
    At night it really doesn't matter. I use up to 100 lb mono leader for snook sometimes and still do very well, mostly using 50-60 lb fluoro. I know this isn't on lures, but last night me and some buddy's jumped 4 tarpon and landed 1 about 120-130 lbs in 2 hours from shore... All on cable leaders and huge j hooks meant for sharks. I think people focus too much on their leaders, unless you're fishing clear water in broad daylight, use heavy enough leader to pull fish away from structure. It won't hurt, I promise.
    I use 50# minimum when I'm around structure at night. Yes, it does make some of the action of the lures go away but with baitbusters it doesn't matter. I just drag them on the bottom pretty much.
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 892 Officer
    Nice! X3 for fishing for nothing except tarpon. I would add meat fish to that list too when I am hungry.

1 tarpon > 200 snook
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    This is what you get for pictures when you're by yourself at night. Tough to tell the size except to compare it to the baitbuster laying next to it.

BTW this was on a full moon during slack tide lol.

F696A28A-6F9C-4BB7-A1DE-95C6018CED87_zpse1i23u5l.jpg

That's nice!
    Going down the backstreet listening to Blackstreet
    Running around the whole town
    Neighbors yelling at me like, "You need to slow down."
    Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f**k out
    Mow your **** lawn and sit the hell down