Side view transducer location

CL604CL604 Posts: 69 Deckhand
Need advice on best location on the transom of Hewes for Side View transducer.On my previous install I had
issues with the outboard lower unit blocking some of the signal. Wondering if anybody else encountered this
and if so,were you able to correct it. The new transducer is huge, 8 inches long.Its my understanding the
transducer beam is also 8 inches wide. I have approx 10 inches between forward edge of lower unit and
transom, is that enough space for the signal to pass without interference. Also, I've herd there is a minimum
15 inch spacing requirement between transducer and lower unit.Thanks in advance

Bill

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,204 Captain
    I just installed one on my boat yesterday... AC 1720. With a 6" jack plate I had plenty of room and mounted it right in the middle, just under the jack plate (above the pocket tunnel). Used it last night and today and it works amazing. I also read that you need 15" room... but I think that's for prop to transducer... not lower unit to ducer.

Here's a pic from today... you can actually ID the fish in the picture. I love this friggin thing.

9084c14d-33f4-4bef-b2e3-d70ba8e9dc9b_zpsyk04unr5.jpg
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • CL604CL604 Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Finally,I just went and installed the transducer on the flat portion of the transom. Works great, good quality picture both left & right.
    Whats most surprising is I get very good bottom in conventional mode as well as Side View while on plane at 25 mph. This thing
    is fantastic,I'm afraid they will outlaw its use.