2015... out with a bang... and a king

Figured I'd give it one more shot before the cold front came in so I hit the water last night. I had just put a new fishfinder on with side scan so I was excited to try it out. Caught 12 snook in about 3 hours. 4 were slot. It was pretty fun but I was dreaming of some tarpon while fishing for snook.
So today I got up and out on the water before dawn. The past few days the tarpon started rolling right when it got light out but today there were none to be found. :huh Saw some commotion on the water so I went to check it out... caught a catfish. More commotion and caught a jack. One more for the trash can slam! And there it was... a ladyfish. But this one was coming in the boat with me for bait. Went back to my honey hole and sat... and sat... and sat... 10:00 comes and I'm about to pack it up and then I see this on the fishfinder:

9084c14d-33f4-4bef-b2e3-d70ba8e9dc9b_zpsyk04unr5.jpg

If you look close you can clearly see that those are tarpon. Man I love this friggin thing. So I hang out and jump about a 40 pounder. It was long but skinny. I get a few more bumps, had some big girls rolling all around me, then all hell breaks loose when one pounded my ladyfish. But before I got to the rod it was off. :banghead

Another hour goes by and the action has slowed way down... really not seeing anything roll anymore but I do see stuff on the fish finder once in awhile so I give it a few more minutes. Then somebody pulls up within casting distance to me (we're the only two out in the whole area) so I decide to pull anchor and go home. Well rather than just haul tail I trolled out of there since I still had my ladyfish out (which was about 10 yards from their boat) and FISH ON BOIIIIII!!!!! Fought this tarpon for 1 hour and 50 minutes before getting her to the boat. Here's a pic I took of her rolling:

577B0D6C-86F0-4C35-998D-D9C71351A487_zps0dd5gxhp.jpg

And here's the money shot some kids watching me in a john boat took:

6B3A6A9B-B166-490B-85E8-1932AE45A5C2_zpsadxltaup.jpg

Happy New Year!

-Mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 536 Officer
    Sweet! I'm gonna try and get my first **** of 2016 in early January but we will see if they stick around for much longer.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,782 Captain
    The 'cold front' coming in doesn't look too bad. I think they'll stick around... especially since the following week is back in the 80's.
    Btw if anyone cares... Stradic 6000, Star Delux 7' 15-20, 40# Super Slick, 80# fluoro, 7/0 circle hook (forgot the brand).
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    That sounds like a great day. Wish I could fish.
    Rick there's always a spot for you on my boat. You're welcome to just come hang out while you heal up your wing.
  • MuskyChaserMuskyChaser Posts: 134 Deckhand
    **** nice one. I want to get my first tarpon in 2016.
    Please subscribe to my YouTube channel for HD big game fishing! https://youtu.be/gArGhITKlzE
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 200 Deckhand
    kmag,
    Great way to start the new year. Any clues how I can get into something like that? My New Years day was only a 60 fish mixture of trout, ladyfish, flounder and cats. I want BIGGER!!!
    John
  • StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Nicely done Mag. Tells a little more about the side finder. Whats makes is so friggin good.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky

Caught another one today. Probably 120'ish. 35 minute fight. Spheros SW 8000, 30 # PP slick, 80# leader, circle hook, Redbone 7' XH. Pics and video to come.
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    Didn't know you were going today. You got there number right now.
    You back in town? I would have invited you.
  • dovedove Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Great job! But how can there even be giant tarpon in December? I thought only a few little ones hung around in the creeks while they matured. I must not understand something about their life cycle. :huh
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 597 Officer
    They watch the thermometer more than the calendar. Water has been upper 70s to low 80s almost all fall.
    Yep. 79 degrees out there this past week.
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    Nice report! Loving the pics :cool:
    Going down the backstreet listening to Blackstreet
    Running around the whole town
    Neighbors yelling at me like, "You need to slow down."
    Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f**k out
    Mow your **** lawn and sit the hell down