Home Politics

So the NSA has been directed to spy on Israel AND congress?

Replies

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,769 AG
    An excerpt;

Dec. 29, 2015 4:40 p.m. ET
    881 COMMENTS
    President Barack Obama announced two years ago he would curtail eavesdropping on friendly heads of state after the world learned the reach of long-secret U.S. surveillance programs.

But behind the scenes, the White House decided to keep certain allies under close watch, current and former U.S. officials said. Topping the list was Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
    The U.S., pursuing a nuclear arms agreement with Iran at the time, captured communications between Mr. Netanyahu and his aides that inflamed mistrust between the two countries and planted a political minefield at home when Mr. Netanyahu later took his campaign against the deal to Capitol Hill.

The National Security Agency’s targeting of Israeli leaders and officials also swept up the contents of some of their private conversations with U.S. lawmakers and American-Jewish groups. That raised fears—an “Oh-s— moment,” one senior U.S. official said—that the executive branch would be accused of spying on Congress.

White House officials believed the intercepted information could be valuable to counter Mr. Netanyahu’s campaign. They also recognized that asking for it was politically risky. So, wary of a paper trail stemming from a request, the White House let the NSA decide what to share and what to withhold, officials said. “We didn’t say, ‘Do it,’ ” a senior U.S. official said. “We didn’t say, ‘Don’t do it.’ ”

Cataloging the World’s Cyberforces
    Explore more than 60 countries that have or are building cyberwar tools

VIEW INTERACTIVE
    Stepped-up NSA eavesdropping revealed to the White House how Mr. Netanyahu and his advisers had leaked details of the U.S.-Iran negotiations—learned through Israeli spying operations—to undermine the talks; coordinated talking points with Jewish-American groups against the deal; and asked undecided lawmakers what it would take to win their votes, according to current and former officials familiar with the intercepts.

Before former NSA contractor Edward Snowden exposed much of the agency’s spying operations in 2013, there was little worry in the administration about the monitoring of friendly heads of state because it was such a closely held secret. After the revelations and a White House review, Mr. Obama announced in a January 2014 speech he would curb such eavesdropping.

In closed-door debate, the Obama administration weighed which allied leaders belonged on a so-called protected list, shielding them from NSA snooping. French President François Hollande, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and other North Atlantic Treaty Organization leaders made the list, but the administration permitted the NSA to target the leaders’ top advisers, current and former U.S. officials said. Other allies were excluded from the protected list, including Recep Tayyip Erdogan, president of NATO ally Turkey, which allowed the NSA to spy on their communications at the discretion of top officials.

Privately, Mr. Obama maintained the monitoring of Mr. Netanyahu on the grounds that it served a “compelling national security purpose,” according to current and former U.S. officials. Mr. Obama mentioned the exception in his speech but kept secret the leaders it would apply to.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Netanyahu needs monitoring. Didn't we just let an American spy working for Israel out of jail???
    Good that you are not afraid to be vocal about your beliefs, cycle. We have that freedom, at least for another year or two?
    Cyclist wrote: »
    nixon stole and lied.

Right?
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    Obama is part **** so to complain, you'd be a racist.
    Gary M wrote: »
    Obama is part **** so to complain, you'd be a racist.

I keep forgetting about the umbrella. I have a hard time with carving out exemptions from the law based on skin color or strange beliefs.

I guess it's reeducation camp for me?
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,353 Admiral
    dave44 wrote: »

The difference was we had a three branch government then that did their individual jobs like they were supposed to. Now they have all been over run by the progressive party and the entire system is broken from top to bottom.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Spineyman wrote: »
    The difference was we had a three branch government then that did their individual jobs like they were supposed to. Now they have all been over run by the progressive party and the entire system is broken from top to bottom.

Oh yeah, there is that.

Good point.

the tea party fools screwing congress are regressive...courts still stacked with conservatives and neocons
  • guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,247 Captain
    nixon stole and lied.

No, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Clinton.
    Nixon was not impeached.
    Clinton was impeached... He's also the one who lied and stole.
    Glad I could help you get it correct.
    You're welcome.
    the tea party fools screwing congress are regressive...courts still stacked with conservatives and neocons

You mean like Keagan and Sotomayer? At least Kegan worked for BO, that's a great qualification, and Sotomayer is a wise young Latina that understands America better than old white men.

If congress really had intelligence, never mind conservatives, these 2 would have been kicked to the side quickly.
    guido4198 wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Clinton.
    Nixon was not impeached.
    Clinton was impeached... He's also the one who lied and stole.
    Glad I could help you get it correct.
    You're welcome.

And how did that work out for the neocons who wasted millions on this........
    And how did that work out for the neocons who wasted millions on this........

I believe they won the mid terms, didn't they? And Clinton moved to the middle from the sexist left?
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,353 Admiral

You obviously don't understand the checks and balances in our Government with that statement. It was set up as three equal but separate powers to keep the people safe from tyranny. Now the President has usurped all the power of three branches and sits as a King and not a President.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

You obviously don't understand the checks and balances in our Government with that statement. It was set up as three equal but separate powers to keep the people safe from tyranny. Now the President has usurped all the power of three branches and sits as a King and not a President.

Hilarious....and yet so sad at the same time. There will come a day when you people realize your hypocrisy when it comes to holding Obama to standards oh so much higher than the republican disasters that preceded him.
    Hilarious....and yet so sad at the same time. There will come a day when you people realize your hypocrisy when it comes to holding Obama to standards oh so much higher than the republican disasters that preceded him.

I quoted this because I feel you should probably put it in your folder for future use.
  • sjm1582002sjm1582002 Posts: 4,364 Captain
    What would you think of congressmen who were accepting freebies from some of the other "priority threat countries?

The U.S. perception of Israel as a threat as much as an ally is also evidenced by the so-called “black budget” of 2013, previously referenced by The Washington Post, which lists Israel in multiple places as a key intelligence “target” and even a “hostile foreign intelligence service” among several other countries typically thought of as the U.S.’s most entrenched adversaries:

The same budget document reveals that the CIA regards Israel — along with Russia, China, Iran, Pakistan and Cuba — as a “priority threat country,” one against which it “conduct offensive [counter-intelligence] operations in collaboration with DoD”:

One particular source of concern for U.S. intelligence are the means used by Israel to “influence anti-regime elements in Iran,” including its use of “propaganda and other active measures”:

What is most striking about all of this is the massive gap between (a) how American national security officials talk privately about the Israelis and (b) how they have talked for decades about the Israelis for public consumption — at least until the recent change in public rhetoric from Obama officials about Israel, which merely brings publicly expressed American views more in line with how U.S. government officials have long privately regarded their “ally.” The NSA refused to comment for this article.

https://theintercept.com/2015/03/25/netanyahus-spying-denial-directly-contradicted-secret-nsa-documents/
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    nixon stole and lied.

Was Nixon a Democrat?
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
    Why would our CIA care if Israel wanted to effect regime change in Iran before we gave them the ability to make nuclear weapons? It seems a bit self destructive of the US to want Iran to have the capability to destroy its neighbors.

As soon as one of the head mullahs says something about the US he qualifies it with " Death to America!" And now they are our friends?
  • saltydancindavesaltydancindave Posts: 1,255 Officer
    dave44 wrote: »
    Why would our CIA care if Israel wanted to effect regime change in Iran before we gave them the ability to make nuclear weapons? It seems a bit self destructive of the US to want Iran to have the capability to destroy its neighbors.

As soon as one of the head mullahs says something about the US he qualifies it with " Death to America!" And now they are our friends?

It's like **** Security Aryans don't want to expose their death to America KKK churchstate cops that practice being thieving US Constitution arsonists protected & served by a supreme swastika up Uranus Islamic pedophile national religion court of a Christian nation that chose to have a second coming resurrection with their Muslim bedfellows as the Federal Lynching state of hate drug trafficking churchstate cops business as usual to celebrate a new year of Fourth Reich 9/11 triumphs without embarrassment from electing a black before becoming under God. Looks like they can't break their pedophile traditions having thieving US Constitution arsonists be guilty of anything at SCOTUS nor even 9/11 terrorist drug trafficking of POTUS under the cross.