Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Boating Permit Fee Announced - Gulf Coast Boaters Subsidizing Free Flamingo Ramp

ENP released details of their scheme to eliminate the Flamingo ramp fee ($60/yr) and offset revenue loss by charging us Gulf Coast boaters a $75 annual boating fee.

To clarify- Boater Permit is initially $50. Second year it climbs to $75 to offset elimination of ramp fee during second year.

How about we continue to pay $50 until a ramp is built and operational in Everglades City?

"In 2016 when the boater education course and permit program are implemented the ramp fee will end. In this initial year of the boater education program, the fee will be phased in so that visitors will not be charged both a ramp fee and boating permit for the same time period. "

Replies

• Swamp SkiffSwamp Skiff Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    ENP released details of their scheme to eliminate the Flamingo ramp fee ($60/yr) and offset revenue loss by charging us Gulf Coast boaters a $75 annual boating fee.

To clarify- Boater Permit is initially $50. Second year it climbs to $75 to offset elimination of ramp fee during second year.

How about we continue to pay $50 until a ramp is built and operational in Everglades City?

"In 2016 when the boater education course and permit program are implemented the ramp fee will end. In this initial year of the boater education program, the fee will be phased in so that visitors will not be charged both a ramp fee and boating permit for the same time period. "

I'd be happy to pay $100, even $200 for a yearly pass to a boat ramp in EC. Nothing against the existing ramps, they do need to make a living and EC ain't cheap, but I would not want to afford 50+ days worth of ramp fees a year if that many days where even an option for me right now.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    X2 on Swamp Skiff.
    If Gulf Coast had a ramp we would be saving allot of money.
    ENP has stated their marina cannot support public boat ramp access.

What I do like about the 10/1/15 letter is the acknowledgement that maintenance is important and the increased funds will be used for this purpose and not the hiring of 3 law enforcenment rangers, which had been previously stated.

McNut, thanks for posting.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,517 Captain
    Interesting topic.... Over on the Flamingo side of things my anglers have just had their daily entrance fee doubled to $20... just to join me for a day on the water. Doesn't look like anyone is getting a free ride in any sense. If I fish them out of EC or Choko they won't pay any entrance fee -but I'll be the one paying a ramp fee....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Partnering for Marine Boater Education in the Everglades

Read more: http://eppley.org/partnering-for-marine-boater-education-in-the-everglades/

Didn't know if I should laugh or cry reading that.
    "time for some mandatory online boater education, courtesy of your National Park and the Eppley Institute. As part of a larger general management strategy to better protect the battered seagrass habitat, successful completion of an e-course soon will be required of all motorboat operators on National Park waters."

There is no visitor damage or prop scarring that can rise up to 1% of the damage done by Federal and State water managers not allowing fresh water to flow into the Glades and Florida Bay.

I am all for education and not running over habitat, but, when will the real issue be addressed?
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 862 Officer

The problem with a ramp in EC/choko is can you get title.Supposedly Outdoor Resorts offered to sell to Collier Co.but
    there was a question does OR have clear title to the ramp.Collier Co,determined probably not.So if they did buy it.you might be able
    to park in the parking lot but not launch since they felt the ramp was owned by the Park.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,905 AG
    Didn't know if I should laugh or cry reading that.
    "time for some mandatory online boater education, courtesy of your National Park and the Eppley Institute. As part of a larger general management strategy to better protect the battered seagrass habitat, successful completion of an e-course soon will be required of all motorboat operators on National Park waters."

There is no visitor damage or prop scarring that can rise up to 1% of the damage done by Federal and State water managers not allowing fresh water to flow into the Glades and Florida Bay.

I am all for education and not running over habitat, but, when will the real issue be addressed?

The state has all the water the park needs to restore the hydrology. In the past 2 years water managers have increased deliveries from 70,000 acre feet to 700,000 Acre feet. That's an order of magnitude more. But oddly and counter intuitively federal wildlife managers note that a species of bird is nesting in areas that had become dyer during delivery restrictions ( federal litigation over phosphorus of less than 1 part per billion) and are not accepting increased and very much needed water deliveries.

For more information on this and other matters consult Mr. Gelber, your representative to the Water Resources Advisory Board and the DEP.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    Good info Gary
  • Flanative78Flanative78 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    $50-$75 a year vs $20 ramp fee every time you launch in EC. I could go for that
  • $50-$75 a year vs $20 ramp fee every time you launch in EC. I could go for that

:grin

No, you are going to give Mr. Brown $20 regardless.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    GSC . . . the state has a responsibility to not just move water but bring the 101 mph fast ball high and inside.
  • Swamp SkiffSwamp Skiff Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Pardon my ignorance, but who would/should/might/could be building a "public" ramp in EC/Choko? The State, the County, or the Park? I'm asking as a tangent to 10kman's post on the title of the OR ramp. Does the Park have designs on building a ramp at all?
    GSC . . . the state has a responsibility to not just move water but bring the 101 mph fast ball high and inside.

The only reason we have Everglades Restoration is because The Miccosukee's filed a law suit against the State and Feds.
    Dexter Lehtinen is available if the State decides to get off their ****.
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    On this subject, has anyone used Port of the Islands Marina off 41?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,517 Captain
    It's a good ramp but you have to go "no wake" for almost three miles until you clear Fakahatchee canal....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    All the time Blue Zone, Was checking out the manatee project king on just the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
    The state has all the water the park needs to restore the hydrology. In the past 2 years water managers have increased deliveries from 70,000 acre feet to 700,000 Acre feet. That's an order of magnitude more. But oddly and counter intuitively federal wildlife managers note that a species of bird is nesting in areas that had become dyer during delivery restrictions ( federal litigation over phosphorus of less than 1 part per billion) and are not accepting increased and very much needed water deliveries.

For more information on this and other matters consult Mr. Gelber, your representative to the Water Resources Advisory Board and the DEP.

http://www.fortlauderdaledaily.com/features/everglades/efforts-save-everglades-debate-environmentalists-big-sugar
  • VikingViking Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Last week I received the following email back from Fred Herling who is the contact person for the park service for information on the new boating permit fee. This is what he had to say about the test and boat operator permit fee:

"Regarding your questions, the course is being developed and will be launched some time in 2016 (more details about this will be provided in advance as we get closer to the start so there will be plenty of advance notice and details).

The course will be free as we want as many people as possible to take the course, and the fee will be associated with the annual permit. The permit cost is being planned to start in year 2, with the 1st year having the permit provided at no cost. The annual cost should be $50 in year 2 and would not go higher than $75 in later years. There would also be a short-term permit for weekly visitors that would be much less ($20 or $25).

We appreciate the challenges for some to pay a fee. The funds collected from the permit would be invested in park marine water management (additional rangers, improved navigation aids, monitoring and restoration work). For those under 18 we expect that a separate permit would not be required if they were operating a boat with an adult permit-holder.

General information about the program is described in the Final General Management Plan: parkplanning.nps.gov/documentsList.cfm?projectID=11170
    (click on the “Final General Management Plan..." and then scroll down to view/download entire volumes or chapters. Information about the boater education program can be found throughout Volume I)."

I have mixed feelings on the fee. Like most people I don't like new user fees and I think it will have an impact on the number of people who go to Everglades City to launch their boat for a days fishing. Plus everyone who lives in Everglades City or Choko and operates a boat will have to pay the fee being they are surrounded by park waters. To avoid the fee some people will go to areas like Goodland & Port of the Islands to launch their boat and fish in the 10,000 Island Preserve which does not require a permit. On the other hand people that use Flamingo will not have to pay the ramp fee when the permit fee is put into place but that does nothing for people who use Everglades City that does not have a public ramp and will still have to pay a launch fee. The other question this raises is what keeps other areas around the state from implementing this type of fee, that could be expensive and complicated. Being I don't live in the area the $20 or $25 fee for a week's permit is not going to keep me away from a once a year trip but when I come down for my other trips I will just fish to the northwest in the 10,000 Island area outside of ENP to avoid the fee.

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?206147-Boat-License-for-ENP/page4#ixzz3suVpozGH
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,262 Officer
    Thanks for posting.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 439 Deckhand
    "There is no visitor damage or prop scarring that can rise up to 1% of the damage done by Federal and State water managers not allowing fresh water to flow into the Glades and Florida Bay."

Amen to that!