Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Tagged him in White Oak Ga

Squidroe1Squidroe1 Posts: 47 Greenhorn
I have been hunting this deer hard and patterning him all year and new the winds to be favorable for both hunts on Saturday 11/28. The morning hunt was uneventful with only a small yearling doe coming to 6 yards and staying about ten minutes. The evening hunt was uneventful until around 530 when about 20 turkeys roosted just down the hill from me not 5 minutes later I hear that ear perking sound every hunter likes the muffled squirrel bark at something its used to seeing. After what felt like 20 minutes but in reality was only 3 or 4 I see his feet as hes skirting a small thicket that will bring him to 20 yards for an easy bow shot. I clip the release on the string and go to position my feet and my stand squeaks and I finally see its a good buck when he snaps his head up to locate the squeak. I freeze he freezes hell I think time froze. After a few tense moments he turns to walk away my heart drops and I believe i have lost my chance. I know he wont be in bow range anymore so I reach back and take the rifle off the hook behind me and put my bow in my lap. Just when I had wrote off the missed opportunity and contemplating how I am going to go full office space on this hang on deer stand I see feet at 50 yards quartering away from me and getting ready to cross my only shooting lane I raise the gun see a large g3 on the right beam and determine its him and when his front shoulder crosses the pine tree I squeeze and when I look up I can see him laying on my trail I walk in on. It is my best buck to date @ 12pts he is almost identical with a kicker on each g2 as well as an almost identical kicker on the back of each brow tine. Almost shed a tear when I got down to him and realized all the hard work and patterning and waiting was over and I could celebrate but the best part of all was being able to share the moment with my Dad who introduced me to hunting 20 years ago that hug when he saw my buck almost broke my back and I wouldn't have traded that feeling for anything else.

Replies