Home Egret Boats

Rod Locker Latches

2»

Replies

• mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Don't waste your time trying to make chicken soup outta chicken $hait... Fix it right one time just like Egret Landing did and forget it.

Amen Pete! Too bad you are not the quality manager of Egret any more! :hail
    Picking the right hardware is only part of fixing it right though: proper installation is also important.

Installing it right:
    NC Egret way: Screws into cored or solid sections with no sealant anywhere (even below the water line!)
    FL Egret way: Seal exposed core with epoxy, screws with correct sealant
    mbowers/Hell's Bay way: Remove some exposed core, backfill with thickened epoxy, through bolt with correct sealant and TEF-Gel on threads

I fixed many things on my old FL boat that wore out, and everything was mounted in a good to excellent manner except that poling platform top. I bet Jim would have done it differently if he'd been the one to redesign the boat deck. He promised me in writing to fix the water in the fuel issue and he doesn't strike me as a BS artist like most boat builders are..
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    Don't waste your time trying to make chicken soup outta chicken $hait... Fix it right one time just like Egret Landing did and forget it.

I am ok with mine so far. I was just offering a suggestion. ;-)
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    We tried to SouthCo to make the same latch in stainless. But as you can see Egret couldn't compete with 2 latches per boat to the number of latches on bussses and RV's.

They dont need to compete. Its a very minor expense in the big picture. They just need to order a bunch of 316 stainless folding T handles that will last the life of the boat and call it a day. Why Egret put in the inferior latches years ago when there was a stainless option available and they still continue to do so today when the coated latches obviously do not hold up well over time makes no sense.
    We tried to SouthCo to make the same latch in stainless. But as you can see Egret couldn't compete with 2 latches per boat to the number of latches on bussses and RV's.

Why doesn't Egret follow the installation instructions and use the gaskets made by Southco specifically for marine installations?
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    Why doesn't Egret follow the installation instructions and use the gaskets made by Southco specifically for marine installations?

To give irritated engineers something to post about and a project to work on. But from the pictures I have seen of your rig (if they really were), your opinion on ANYTHING boating related has been impeached. Put another way: if you are so worried about the seal on those latches, why not "finger paint" some 5200 like you did on your platform and console and be done with it?
    To give irritated engineers something to post about and a project to work on. But from the pictures I have seen of your rig (if they really were), your opinion on ANYTHING boating related has been impeached. Put another way: if you are so worried about the seal on those latches, why not "finger paint" some 5200 like you did on your platform and console and be done with it?

Where have you been poleposition? Did you fall down the amphibian livewell on someone else's Egret? Are you going to share the information on the cause of the low riding scuppers on most boats that I provided to you? :)
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    Where have you been poleposition? Did you fall down the amphibian livewell on someone else's Egret? Are you going to share the information on the cause of the low riding scuppers on most boats that I provided to you? :)

Well, I do not read your "PMs", so I have no idea what you are talking about. That said, I do hope you and your legal team find you greater happiness.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Its a southco part originally designed as a bus latch (according to Southco). It is not a marine application and that is why they start to have performance and appearance issues fairly quickly requiring replacement. We used to buy several of them at once as they were cheap at less 10 each and replace them annually or so. But I always thought the latch was poorly conceived for the boat and after discussion with the mfg. finally realized why. They were not designed for boats. I went to a Southco 100% high end stainless locking latch that is really great but they only offer them now as min 100 piece orders. It used to be you could buy two at a time. I got mine for about 35 each but they will last forever and still look new after years. They also match the hinges and look much better than the black bus latch.

Here's what you guys are looking for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELLCRAFT-031-1537-SOUTHCO-STAINLESS-BOAT-T-HANDLE-COMPRESSION-LATCH-M5-99-110-/400900348849
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer

That is one option but they don't have locks built in on that model. I can find those all day long.
    The locking versions of those Southco Latches are not in stock anywhere in the US that I can find.

Here is the alternative by Perko they come in locking versions and are in stock.
    They are very beefy and will give you long term service and work well. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.
    You want the model #0777L02CHR

http://www.perko.com/catalog/cabinet_hardware/518/rectangular_flange_flush_hatch_dog/

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/perko-pko-0777l02chr-0777l02chr

1_zps57g66oo0.jpg
    2_zpsuchxdj7q.jpg

Installed

5_zpsgf26ssbd.jpg
    6_zpsx6d36zff.jpg
    7_zps7y4qjsyz.jpg