Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Transducers for Garmin 7612XSV

looking for recommendations on transducers to put on a Sea Hunt 24BX BR. Putting a Garmin 7612XSV on the boat. I want a thru hull transducer but have been told I need a transom mounted transducer as well to have chirp,side and down view. Any recommendations for both. Plan on fishing out of Mayport .

Replies

• Jeff_HollidayJeff_Holliday Posts: 500 Deckhand
    That's somewhat correct. You would need the Garmin GT-30 for side imaging. This transom mount is an all in one, with chirp,DV, and SV. If you're wanting a more sensitive and capable thru hull, I would recommend a B75H or B175H if you wanted a 1KW unit. Considering the expense of the thru hull, you may want to see how the GT works before making an additional purchase and drilling a hole in your boat. The thru hull would be considerably more sensitive, but it's also an expense you may not feel necessary. I would be happy to put some pricing together for you if you want to give me a call.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,222 Admiral
    That's somewhat correct. You would need the Garmin GT-30 for side imaging. This transom mount is an all in one, with chirp,DV, and SV. If you're wanting a more sensitive and capable thru hull, I would recommend a B75H or B175H if you wanted a 1KW unit. Considering the expense of the thru hull, you may want to see how the GT works before making an additional purchase and drilling a hole in your boat. The thru hull would be considerably more sensitive, but it's also an expense you may not feel necessary. I would be happy to put some pricing together for you if you want to give me a call.

This is incorrect.

The gt-30 is not an all in one ducer, it only does down and side view, not traditional chirp.

If you choose an all in one for traditional, chirp down and side view, the correct transom model would be the gt-41.

If you were to go with a b75 or b175, the correct pairing would be with a gt-30.

However, I would forgo the above (corrected) recommendation entirely, and recommend a Gt-41th.

This is a 3 in 1 thru hull that has it all, traditional, chirp down and side view.

You have been told by someone inexperienced that you couldn't do a single thru hull because you wouldn't be able to see out both sides with side view, because you will be blocked by the hull on one side. In actuality, the beam doesn't come out sideways, but at a downward angle. This being said, in practice, we have found that placing the single thru hull near the v but just above it, that you can still see out both sides of the boat! This is usually not a problem on boats with 20 deg. deadrise or less, speaking from actual experience. Worst case scenario, you can add the second one on the other side later and do the pair option, but I'm confident you won't need to.

If you like, I can beat any local competitors price, and can show you pics of the cleanest installs of these ducers you will find anywhere, I have personally installed several of these new ducers. We have an indoor shop or are mobile to your location.

Please check us out at Boattronics.net, Boattronics Of North Florida on facebook, and contact me at 904-545-1270, thanks!
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    This is an install example I recently did with a gt41 on an everglades, that could see both sides.

I have 17 years professional experience doing thru hulls, so all of my installs look perfect like this one.

20150820_141708_zpstgpn3xch.jpg
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • Jeff_HollidayJeff_Holliday Posts: 500 Deckhand
    I would certainly price both options before pulling the trigger.
    I agree, let's look at the above options from a pricing view point as well.

Jeff mentioned doing the gt-30 as a 3in1, when in fact it only does down and side view at scanning (high) chirp frequencies.

But it's not a 3in1, and it would be a shame not to have traditional 50/200khz sonar!

Then he suggested the b75 and gt-30 together. This is a good choice in my opinion, but, you now have (2) transducers that retail for $199 and $700, for a $900 total.

You've increased the installation exspenses by having two transducers instead of one, and you've increased clutter in your boat and on your transom.

Or, you can go with the gt41th and have a single, thru hull installation that is more desirable for a retail of $750 and the install exspense of only one ducer. You will never notice a difference in detail between the two setups that justify the cost difference, not to mention a cleaner install, etc, and I can go into much greater detail about that if you like. The b175 was also mentioned, but would be silly to put on your '24 Bay boat, especially at the price, for extra power you'll never need.

Now of course I can provide much better pricing, but used the msrp for comparison.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • FishermanAJFishermanAJ Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Jeff knows what he is talking about! The guys at pelagic are awesome! Definitely check them out as they stand behind their product!
    Knot Dirty Detailing: Cars, Boats & RV's!
    Mention your a forum member and receive 10% off!
    Email for free estimates!
    [email protected]
    No one has said otherwise Aj, and I agree, they build a fine ttop.

I just wanted to point out the incorrect info (just a simple mistake, im sure) and add actual experience, after both installing and using, all the above mentioned transducers so the OP can make a more informed decision.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,359 AG
    I'm fairly sure I am getting a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI for Christmas from the Mrs. Is that a Ducer I can mount myself? Having never done one before?
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    Spoiler alert! Lol.....

Transom transducers are fairly simple to install if you have basic power and hand tool knowledge.

I'd be glad to walk you through it when you are ready, you could post a thread about it with pics.

Basically, you want to find a spot close to the bottom of the v, where the most dense water will be, that is free of obstructions ahead of it. Things like water pickups, etc. Close to the v, but not below it where it can hit if you run aground. The face of the transducer should be just below the transom edge, hitting clean water. The bottom surface of the ducer should be parrallel with ground during the boats normal running attitude.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,359 AG
    There's one already mounted on the transom but it's for an older unit that was on the boat when i bought it and did not work. I'll probably mount it right where the old one is.
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    Probably a good spot, post pics if ya want before hand.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,454 Officer
    Six years ago I went with a thru hull transducer on my Boston Whaler 24' Outrage. If I knew then what I know now I would not have done it. If you want to talk about it PM me with your phone number. I'm not advising you NOT go with the thru hull I'm just passing on that my expensive thru hull ducer didn’t meet my expectations.

On similar note I just bought a Garmin 7610xsv for a 19 Whaler and went with the transom mount GT50M-TM transducer. This boat is primarily used in the shallower GOM and this ducer is ideal for shallower water. If you do decide on a transom mounted ducer, for Atlantic waters I’d go with transom mounted GT51M-TM for a little bit deeper water. (TM = transom mount)

Best wishes if you go with a thru hull.
    Brian
    Nice Brian!

In this case, the transom mount and thru hull options are the same element arrangement, on different brackets. The th denotes thru hull and tm denotes transom mount. I just got off the phone with an engineer at Garmin, so I could double check facts and write a quick comparison, and hopefully help with any confusion.

The Gt-40, and Gt-41, are going to be the best options when normally fishing less than 500'. They both have the same output wattage of 500 watts for down view and side view chirp....but in traditional mode the 40 has 500 watts and the 41 has 600.

The 50 and 51 are going to do better when you are fishing deeper water regularly, say 200' or more, go with these. The 50 and 51 also have the same 500 watts for down view and side view chirp, but in traditional mode the 50 has 300 watts while the 51 gets 600. The 50 and 51 also pick up chirp technology in traditional mode, where the 40 and 41 do not "chirp" in traditional mode.

This is straight from the horses mouth lol..... hope it helps!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    Big bend pm sent. I need the skinny on the garmin. Need to rig the new fountain out this month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]