Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Thank Goodness for the FWC....sarcasm intended...

Well, I personally am always thankful when the FWC is looking out for us. I am super glad to find out this topic has been discussed at the last meeting and a plan is in place. Please don't miss the February meeting so you can be involved in this decision.
Draft rules on:
Dwarf seahorse (coming back in February for a final public hearing). Creating additional conservation measures including:
• changing the recreational bag limit to 5 seahorses total, no matter the species;
• establishing a commercial trip limit of 200 dwarf seahorses;
• establishing a commercial quota of 25,000 dwarf seahorses per year

Does anyone sell a really small lasso?
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,442 Officer
    Must be a market for them in Asia..............
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,005 Officer
    It's probably for aquarium enthusiasts.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 737 Officer
    It's for the aquarium trade, not human consumption or "medicinal" uses. Dwarf seahorses top out at around 1.5 inches fully stretched. They're hard to keep alive in an aquarium because it is hard to keep them properly fed since they have very small mouths and pretty much will only feed on live food. I always catch them incidentally while shrimping on the flats.
  • BarnakillerBarnakiller Posts: 90 Deckhand
    CaptainBly wrote: »
    Well, I personally am always thankful when the FWC is looking out for us. I am super glad to find out this topic has been discussed at the last meeting and a plan is in place. Please don't miss the February meeting so you can be involved in this decision.
    Draft rules on:
    Dwarf seahorse (coming back in February for a final public hearing). Creating additional conservation measures including:
    • changing the recreational bag limit to 5 seahorses total, no matter the species;
    • establishing a commercial trip limit of 200 dwarf seahorses;
    • establishing a commercial quota of 25,000 dwarf seahorses per year

Does anyone sell a really small lasso?

I've always thought the dwarf seahorses should have a slot limit. Come to think of it, I never have been asked if I had any seahorses in the cooler.

All kidding aside, the FWC in my opinion does quality, non-biased research and I hope it stays that way. Hey, at least they're looking out for the seahorses too. There must be some guys really hammering them for the aquarium trade or something.
  • shake n bakeshake n bake Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Lot of fun on light tackle, but very difficult to gaff
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,116 AG
    Did someone say dwarf???
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • keenerbenkeenerben Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    second one has potential.