Home General Hunting

Fl sets new Record this yr..

binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
Amazing... we kill over 20% annually and them numbers keep coming

NAPLES (AP) — Florida set a new record for documented panther deaths after two males were hit by cars and killed.

The Naples Daily News reports that 35 big cat deaths have been recorded this year, with 25 of those being road kills, which ties a state record.

The Florida panther is one of the most endangered species on the planet, with FWC biologists estimating there are 100 to 180 in the wild.

There are certainly more cats in Florida now than there have been in decades, and biologists say the higher number of overall deaths and road kills is partially due to the growing population.

Two male panthers died Monday. The first is thought to have been 8 to 10 months in age, with the second cat nearly 3 years old.

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,028 Admiral
    [QUOTE=binellishtr;Amazing... .

There are certainly more cats in Florida now than there have been in decades, and biologists say the higher number of overall deaths and road kills is partially due to the growing population.

AND, What is the other Mortaility issue ?
    Maybe....drum roll...Too many of them ??
    We need to put up Wildlife underpasses every mile along with signs and flashing lights ..or get rid of a few.
    I'm thinkin Quotas next year...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • huntsfloridahuntsflorida Posts: 378 Deckhand
    Its the only form of current population control there is. Just think of the problems we would be having if we currently had all the ones killed by cars in the last ten years still in the population. FYI...that number is more than the current estimated population....lol. At 20%....we are killing the entire population every 5 years according to the new McBride numbers....that's just funny...and still they sit and do nothing.....no problems here...
    Capt. Mark Clemons
    Everglades Adventures Inc.
    Alligators Inc.
    Alligators International LLC.
    www.huntsflorida.com
    South Florida's Finest Hunting Safari's for over 25 years for:
    Osceola Turkey, Alligator and Whitetail on over
    75,000 acres of South Florida's most private pristine ranches.

Alligator Processing in State Certified and Inspected Facility.
    Follow our clients results on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/EvergladesAdventures
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    Wow what could be done to get those numbers down, maybe they should limit night driving for senior citizens? Or encourage the installment of cat bumpers to push them out of the way vs allowing them to get wedged under the vehicle?
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Wow what could be done to get those numbers down, maybe they should limit night driving for senior citizens? Or encourage the installment of cat bumpers to push them out of the way vs allowing them to get wedged under the vehicle?
    First we shouldn't let people post on florida sportsman after they eat meth. Then worry about panthers
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,118 AG
    I've slain some cougars, not sure about panther though.
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,398 Captain
    LOL NOT INCLUDING HOW MANY WERE KILLED BY OTHER PANTHERS THAT WERE NEVER FOUND . MORE LIKE A 1000 IN SOUTH FLORIDA ALONE .
    living life as i like
  • abacofeverabacofever Posts: 377 Officer
    And... Don't forget. Flugers/Panthers less than 10 months old are not counted in those totals. Several found dead this year.
    A plan that advocates it is ok for 50 or so to die each year because humans purposefully over populated the species sounds pretty flawed when it was rare to loose 5 when the numbers were closer to 100. The Recovery plan is flawed. Idiots....
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    I'm not really sure what I think about the panther population in the traditional South Florida range. I would like to see a Florida road map designating where the panther road kills have occurred in the last 20 or so years. Is there a pattern to these road kills? A concentration of kills in any specific area?

The population has taken a measurable jump since the Texas cats were introduced. That's a "measured" given. We see this somewhat with the northward movement of the cats from the traditional home area. I wonder if these road kills are concentrated along the northern areas of the home range, or are they scattered randomly over the whole range? My wildlife management experience has been absolutely zero with respects to the panther, but the basic laws of wildlife biology are uniform regardless of the animal species. I'm wondering if the increased road kills are directly correlated with the population increase.

I wonder about this also: If you look at nighttime space photography of Florida you will see that there is a solid shield or band of lights from about Tampa/St.Pete running northeast almost but not quite to Daytona Beach, and it must be about 75 miles wide. This is an effective barrier IMO to the cat's northward movement. North and northwestward along the Gulf coast above Tampa all the way to probably Eglin Air Force base near Pensacola, the panther habitat is at least equal to what it is in the southwest Florida home range IMO. Yet, with the exception of the one documented sighting in the Green Swamp area, I'm unaware of any "factual" sightings north of this lighted shield except for the several road kills/"confirmed" sightings in the St. Augustine.. Jacksonville area. Can't help but wonder about all of this!
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    No problem now with mortality. Can restock with western cougars every 3 to 5 years. Trap them and release them. Can collar and tag them at the point of release. No more endangered, threatened light tan cats. Can save a lot of tax dollars by stopping the capture of the South Florida population as well as medi-vacing them to UF when they get crumpled. I hate to be cruel - but hey we need to use our vehicles, which is a fact of life. Florida's growth is a detriment to the cats..... Or as Newton has said time and time again, let nature take it's course and reduce the number to a more reasonable carrying capacity. Occasionally seeing a cat as opposed to seeing them all over the place is a neat thing and according to their biology more in line with the way the breed should exist.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    abacofever wrote: »
    And... Don't forget. Flugers/Panthers less than 10 months old are not counted in those totals. Several found dead this year.
    A plan that advocates it is ok for 50 or so to die each year because humans purposefully over populated the species sounds pretty flawed when it was rare to loose 5 when the numbers were closer to 100. The Recovery plan is flawed. Idiots....

YOU WILL see more getting killed with the flooding of areas to hold water . say they are still trying to protect the cougar with out transferring females north is a joke .
    living life as i like
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,028 Admiral
    So Yea , Let's repopulate North and Central Florida with a couple Thousand .
    That'll really Save them.
    Can't wait to see them on my Ph balanced Food plot on my 7 Thousand dollar Lease .:kick
    There he is dragging that 160 class I've passed on for 4 years into the swamp. :cry
    At least I'll get the horns when he's finished..:banghead.

I've already quit hunting the Glades after 40 years to get away from that. show up at my last stand in North Florida...:nono
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    Can't wait to see them on my Ph balanced Food plot on my 7 Thousand dollar Lease .:kick
    There he is dragging that 160 class I've passed on for 4 years into the swamp. :cry

I've already quit hunting the Glades after 40 years to get away from that. show up at my last stand in North Florida...:nono

SSS

what you fail to see is its going to happen . and you ain't passing on no 160 buck in the south
    living life as i like
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,196 Captain
    With the overpopulation that exists in SW Florida, the probable largest cause of deaths is male panthers killing cubs....not really even counted as it is hard to determine...second would be vehicle strikes....Panthers, males, roam north...the barriers do not really have much effect if there are some pathways.....when you see the roaming of a recent male all across central FL, including a "visit" to the east coast, there is really not much of a deterrent for the movement north the USFWS wishes would happen "naturally"....The problem is there has to be a very large habitat in central Florida (and north Florida) to support a sustained population...and there is nothing that would hold the REQUIRED 250 cats in two locations currently needed to get the cats off the Endangered Species list...MEANING, the current Panther Recovery Plan is fatally flawed...And the cause of much controversy today with desperate meetings by the USFWS to salvage some "plan" that would be good for the panthers...and not generate multiple lawsuits by the animal rights wackos...
    N. Cook wrote: »
    With the overpopulation that exists in SW Florida, the probable largest cause of deaths is male panthers killing cubs....not really even counted as it is hard to determine...second would be vehicle strikes....Panthers, males, roam north...the barriers do not really have much effect if there are some pathways.....when you see the roaming of a recent male all across central FL, including a "visit" to the east coast, there is really not much of a deterrent for the movement north the USFWS wishes would happen "naturally"....The problem is there has to be a very large habitat in central Florida (and north Florida) to support a sustained population...and there is nothing that would hold the REQUIRED 250 cats in two locations currently needed to get the cats off the Endangered Species list...MEANING, the current Panther Recovery Plan is fatally flawed...And the cause of much controversy today with desperate meetings by the USFWS to salvage some "plan" that would be good for the panthers...and not generate multiple lawsuits by the animal rights wackos...

These cats will push north as there food supply run low like it is already . Females will move north to . Fwc is not doing there jobs and protecting all animal in the south zone by letting this happen .
    living life as i like