Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

I want a big old stella

Okay so I have really wanted a stella for a very long time. I have been using Stradic's for a decade or however long they have been out.

I'm not convinced that a brand new Stella is the best Stella made. So if it's not,.... then what year or years would be the best stella's? Alan Hawk has said that the new stella's are not made as well as the older ones. He did not write which ones were the best. ( or I missed that part)

I want a stella sized to hold 300 plus yards of 65lb braid and to be used in salt water. Any opinion of which years were best? Equally important since this will be a used reel, which years of Stella's Manufacture are going to be the least difficult to service back to a like new reel.

I'm not sure shimano reel parts are supported forever!

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,382 Captain
    Gen 1 Stella 10k sw.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Gen 1 Stella 10k sw.

Agree, the early gen stellas are finely crafted reels.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    As above, the Silver/Gold '08 Stella SW is considered by many to be the best... The 8K is LG = Jigging... & the 10K is HG = Casting/Popping... You should also consider a Daiwa Saltiga 5K (or Isla/Catalina =~Saltiga 'lite', but still better than any other Shimano other than maybe their Stella)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • JJHACKJJHACK Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Thanks guys,

How are these older Stellas set for parts and repair. As it is I will be buying a used one and may need something done.

Now the want adds search!
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Shimano's major shortcoming is that they don't have parts availability for >~5-7? yrs after a model is D/C'd... I assume that means that since the new SWB models came out in '13, the old '08 SW may be hard to service after ~'18 ? I decided to 'fire sale' my older Stella FAs b/c nobody had parts :(
    You should really ask Bantam about that on the Shimano sub-forum... He loves to talk about it ;)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • territunaterrituna Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    Kel's rod & reel svc has some parts. They stocked as many as they could. But still the silver and blue stellas are hit or miss on parts.