Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Grunt Hunt

Thinking of using the half price coupon for a half day with hubbards. I'd have to use their rental rods since I'm flying down. I'm wondering if it's a waste of time with those pool cue rental rods. Wondering if they are aggressive enough feeders for me to feel the bite with those stiff rods.

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,237 Captain
    Probably. People do it all the time I am sure. Consider buying a cheap combo with lighter tackle at walmart or something might be a solution. Or bring a reel and buy a cheap rod for the day.

Good luck.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,208 Moderator
    You can catch grunts with a broom stick and 100lb. mono. Go for it.:fishing
  • BwhntrBwhntr Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Thanks, I'll probably give it a try. I've got a charter trip planned for amberjack and grouper but this would be a cheap way to try something different. Lots of free time on my hands when we are down staying with wifes family.
  • seanmurphy243seanmurphy243 Posts: 72 Deckhand
    Just got off the half day today. Hit them hard. I use a really light setup. My setup is a Penn International 965 on a Shimano Trevala TVC70L. I spool up with 20 lb braid and have a 20 lb fluorocarbon leader finished off with a 2/0 circle hook. I only kept the biggest grunts we caught but caught tons of em along with some nice sea bass and a bonita. I have fun with the light setup.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Sea Bass are really Good!
    Good work Sean! ....
    A 20/20 combo .... like pier fishing....
    Terrific!
    Thanks very much for the report ....
    God, save the South!