Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Venison Parmesan

This is my recipe from Naples, Italy. I was a cook before I was a true hunter

Venison Cutlets

1-3 lbs of Venison, Preferably, Hind quarter top round meat.
4 eggs
4 cups bread crumbs (plain or Italian seasoned)
1/4 cup of milk
TBL spoon of salt
TBL spoon of black pepper

Homemade Real Italian red sauce

2 cans 20oz Tomato Sauce
1/2 Onion
1/4 cup of olive oil (EVOO)
tbl spoon of oregano
tbl spoon of Basil
tbl spoon salt
tbl spoon parsley
tbl spoon pepper
2 lbs Whole milk Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Cutlets

Cut meat into thin slices and use a meat hammer and place plastic bag on top of meat, use smooth side of meat hammer and hit meat until really thin. Beat eggs in a bowl, pour bread crumbs in a separate bowl or container. Dip meat in egg, then put meat in bread crumbs one at a time and cover well you can push down on meat to coat really well. Heat peanut oil or Veggie oil to 350 degrees. and fry until golden brown.

Sauce

Pout Olive oil in sauce pan and dice onion and put it in the sauce pan, saute onions until soft (about 3-5 min), once soft put both cans of sauce in pan and then add spice and stir occasionally. Let sauce cook for about and hour you can also put a table spoon of sugar to sweeten it up.

Put meat cutlets on a baking pan pour sauce on individual pieces and put some mozzarella cheese on each bake for about 6-10 min until cheese is melted. Put on plate and serve.

Replies

• jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    I'm not a deer hunter but do chicken and fish parms. Yours looks good but I would add a good shot of grated Parmesan to the bread crumbs. Gives it an extra cheesiness after the frying! Thanks for posting.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    From a post from about last month...
    (and made it 2 nights ago with venison from last year)

Steak Parmesan
    (adapted from from Southern Living)

1/2 cup fine, dry seasoned breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided in half
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 Tbsp. cream
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    4 cubed sirloin fillet steaks (about 1 pound)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup marinara sauce
    1 1/2 tsp. oregano

1. Combine breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Combine egg, cream, and pepper and oregano. Dip steaks in egg mixture; then dredge steaks in breadcrumb and parm mixture.

2. Brown steaks in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 3 minutes on each side. Arrange steaks in an 8-inch square baking dish; top with marinara sauce. Bake at 325ºF for 10 minutes or until done. Remove steaks from oven, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

Makes 4 servings.
  • FLDeerHunterFLDeerHunter Posts: 144 Officer
    Thanks for the reminder and addition. Your right. Parm will help season plain bread crumbs, Usually the Italian seasoned ones have parm in them. We use plain and add parm to the final plate as garnish and flavor.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,339 Moderator
    Tonight I'm going to be doing something very similar to the two posted above with this venison roast that I started thawing Sunday morning in the frige. Prepped the meat last night.

venison.jpg
    venisoncut.jpg
    venisoncut2.jpg

Ruskin - You have cream in your ingredients, but I never see it used in the directions. You also have written, "combine egg, WATER, pepper and oregano." Water...? Really?

I'm going to add some minced garlic and a pinch of crushed red pepper to my EVOO before tossing the onions in for the sauce. Will also have some paremesean in the bread crumbs. Will garnish with dried paresly, more parm, and a couple fresh basil leaves. Also going to have some garlic bread on the side. I'm also probably not going to fry until completely cooked. This means I'll probably have the grease a bit hotter than some might. Since it is going in the oven, I'll just cook until the dredging is golden. With any luck, there will still be moistre on the inside and they'll be a bit pink. It can finish cooking in the oven with the sauce and cheese up top. I hate it when a thin piece of meat (especially venison which is so dense... it goes from rare to jerky in a heart beat once it hits that certain temp) spends too much time in the grease. I don't want all of that moisture displaced. I'll try and get the dredging freid perfectly in grease, pink in the middle and then let the oven do the rest as the flavors merge and it wil have no chance at getting tough of dried out.

I have never made any kind of tomato based sauce from scratch... one of things that's just not worth it I guess; kind of like trying to make pumpkin pie with two or three pumpkins! I'd like to give it a shot sometime. With the sauces and pastes being as good as they are, who knows if I'll ever get around to it. Oh, and on the sauce, I'm going to simmer for an hour or so, and I'll probably take the lid off for the last half hour. I like a thin sauce on some things, but I want this to be thick enough to allow fried crispyness to stand on it's own. Too much water and it turns to that deep fried bread water that drips over and around the meat. No thanks.

Speaking of out-of-the-can tomoto sauces. I think my favorite (as bo-bo as the can looks and even though it is the cheapest) is Hunts Traditional. It is a very simple pre-made sauce and you can really steer it however you want... unlike some of the other brands that are flavored and have tons of herbs in them.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I fixed it. No water. And I agree with you about the Hunt's.
  • FLDeerHunterFLDeerHunter Posts: 144 Officer
    Real Italian Sauce is creamy not watery or thick. I was trying to make it simple for those who don't make home-made Red Sauce.