Home General Freshwater Fishing

Frog gigging

I don't know where to post this but it is fresh water and no firearms used so I guess this spot will do.
Years ago it seemed that frog gigging was more popular. Are all the big bull frogs gone? I don't see any these days?
Any frog giggers out there?

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,484 Moderator
    I just got home from hunting in Missouri and we did some frog "fishing" up there.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?203081-quot-Top-Water-Frog-Fishing-quot-Missouri-Style

really fun.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • FS TreyFS Trey Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    RED OWL, I know it's a little bit of a wait, but the November issue will have something to help answer some questions you have on frog gigging.

Tight lines,

FS Trey
  • Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 481 Deckhand
    Red Owl, I am not sure what area you are hunting your frogs, but we have found some over the last couple of years in the canals around the east side of lake O and off of the St. Lucie Water Way leading to where we live in Stuart. We have mostly been getting pig frogs which are like bullfrogs only a little smaller and they make a different sound then a bullfrog does. You can google the sound they make which was important for use since we have been hunting them from land walking the canals with spot lights. We first look for possible hunting areas on google maps and then when we get there we sit and listen for them before we begin hunting them. We have found that if we do not hear them then they usually are not there. If we do hear them then they are there and usually in decent numbers. We use a telescopic pole with our gig attached to the end. We have found that about 12 feet of pole is about the right length for hunting them from land. With anything shorter we tend to spook them before we get close enough to stick them. I actually ended up purchasing one of the telescopic light bulb changers from Home Depot. instead of attaching the light bulb basket to the end of the pole we just drilled a hole in it and attached our gig tip to it. It has worked great for us and it is easy to transport and store. Good luck and happy hunting!