Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bait by Johns Pass

Hi Fs Forum,
I haven't been to johns pass in quite a while but is there much bait out there? I'm looking for whitebait preferably but I'm not sure where to start looking. Also, how far out does the jetty come? I cant remember.
Thanks!

Replies

• Las OlasLas Olas Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    You can usually get plenty by the bridge if you're in a boat. Also if your buying something Don's Dock will let you throw a net from their docks which usually hold plenty.
  • seanmurphy243seanmurphy243 Posts: 72 Deckhand
    Thank you! I just dont really know whats going on there right now. Not sure what to do.
  • GatorRugbyGatorRugby Posts: 77 Deckhand
    I have never had any luck throwing the net under the bridge, that current is ripping so hard that the net just gets swept away. So I would recommend only throwing at slack tide.

Don's Dock? I have never seen bait there, but I have never thrown the net or tried. Any particular area to focus around the dock?
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,001 Officer
    Bait isn't always easy there but it's almost always there. Heavy nets are necessary on the south side which is 35'+
    FusionZ06 wrote: »
    Bait isn't always easy there but it's almost always there. Heavy nets are necessary on the south side which is 35'+

Agreed, I throw a 12' 1/2" with 1.5lbs per foot and that still does not get down. Probably best to time it maybe when the current slows at well maybe slack tide?
    GatorRugby wrote: »
    Agreed, I throw a 12' 1/2" with 1.5lbs per foot and that still does not get down. Probably best to time it maybe when the current slows at well maybe slack tide?

If it's down deep I throw a 10 or 12' 2.5lb per foot 3/8" net. Yeah, it's a back breaker but you usually only have to throw it twice.
  • seanmurphy243seanmurphy243 Posts: 72 Deckhand
    We fished it today and just used a really heavy sabiki to catch bait. Also saw one guy catch a for sure short Gag (18 inches or less) and just throw it in a cooler and leave. I didn't know who to call. Had to go into the smaller canals and was fishing near a dock when that guy did that. Kinda frustrating seeing as i threw back a bunch of Gags in that size range. Ended up with a limit of snapper, a black drum, and a trout though.
    FusionZ06 wrote: »
    If it's down deep I throw a 10 or 12' 2.5lb per foot 3/8" net. Yeah, it's a back breaker but you usually only have to throw it twice.

Talk about a workout lol. I have never even seen a cast net with that much lead. Cool, maybe I will save up and get one like that one day from Tim W.
    GatorRugby wrote: »
    Talk about a workout lol. I have never even seen a cast net with that much lead. Cool, maybe I will save up and get one like that one day from Tim W.

Yeah, it's not fun but when everyone is throwing 20x to get a few bait at 20-25ft and we throw once or twice and black out the well the first question I get is what net is that :)
  • Las OlasLas Olas Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Don's dock right in front of the shrimp and pinfish tanks seems to be the best place from land. Yes always at slack tide or close to it. many times you will be surprised how much bait you can catch only letting the net sink a few feet. It only works when its think but you will black out in a few throws.