Skipjack and Blackfin Tuna Sashimi

Both were delicious but, in my opinion, the Skipjack is better.
The Skippy has better texture and more pronounced flavor.
By the way the Skipjack fights a A LOT harder than the Blackfin!

before:

after:
Len
Finest Kind

Replies

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,157 Officer
    I like Peroni!!!!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,318 Moderator
    The skipjack is the lighter colored sashimi on the plate? what a pronounced difference in the color of the meat!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • FinestKindFinestKind Posts: 175 Deckhand
    jcanracer wrote: »
    The skipjack is the lighter colored sashimi on the plate? what a pronounced difference in the color of the meat!

Actually, the Skipjack is the darker colored sashimi sitting atop the shredded nori on the bottom of the plate, the BFT is the lighter colored sashimi sitting on the shredded romain on top.
    Yes, there is a big difference in color, texture and flavor....Skipjack rules!
    Len
    Finest Kind
  • FinestKindFinestKind Posts: 175 Deckhand
    Barrell wrote: »
    I like Peroni!!!!
    Me too!
    But if I had some Kirin or Sapporo in the fridge I would have served that with this dish instead ;)
    Len
    Finest Kind
  • the toutthe tout Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    after reading thru and drooling over several of your beautiful recipes i would like you to give this a thought.

PLEASE ADOPT ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,298 Officer
    Yes, many many years ago, off the Pacific side of the Baja peninsula I kept a skipjack and tried it the same way you eat it and it was delicious. I don't know how many hundred skipjack we've released but after eating that one we occasionally kept one. Your dish looked a lot better than mine but it probably tasted the same.