PENN 2016 New Product Intro - CLASH

PENNPENN Posts: 373 Deckhand
The finest spinning reel to join the PENN catalog since the SSV. New for 2016, our first spinning reel with CNC machined gears, and the lightest weight spinning reel we’ve ever produced, a technical reel designed for shallow water fun with artificials or live bait. Anglers, meet CLASH.

• Clash features a precision aluminum/brass main gear and brass pinion machined using computer-controlled CNC gear technology for exact tolerances to provide the smoothest operation.
• A full-metal aluminum body and sideplate, and eight-plus-one sealed ball bearings add to the reel’s durability.
• The Techno-Balanced™ RR30 carbon rotor on the smaller reels, aluminum on the bigger sizes, with the heavy-duty aluminum bail is built for a long life.
• The new Leveline™ slow oscillation system is rugged and produces tight, near-perfect line lay for improved casting and reduced occurrences of wind knots.
• The sealed HT-100 drag system is protected from corrosion and smoothly manages the fight from hook set to landing.

Prices range from $179.99 to $259.99 MSRP.
Starts shipping this October.

Watch the product video here: https://youtu.be/0qRuOuT36H4

Replies

• will i amwill i am Posts: 314 Officer
    sweet
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    It appears to be an improved Conquer. I find it hard to believe that "Clash" focus group tested better than "Conquer."
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • JwattJwatt Posts: 101 Officer
    Looks kinda like the conquer and conflict had a one night stand to remember.
  • TunanorthTunanorth Posts: 125 Deckhand
    It appears to be an improved Conquer. I find it hard to believe that "Clash" focus group tested better than "Conquer."

As noted, "Conquer" was already used, and in any case this reel is substantially different than the Conquer.
    Link to internal breakdown view;
    http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/penn-clash-5000-pre-icast-sneak-peek.592837/
    Penn Pro Staffer
    "The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line"
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,271 Moderator
    Tunanorth wrote: »
    As noted, "Conquer" was already used, and in any case this reel is substantially different than the Conquer.
    http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/penn-clash-5000-pre-icast-sneak-peek.592837/

This caught my eye from that post you linked:
    Above the Clash 5000 the 6000 and 8000 sizes are machined Brass alloy (proprietary) and per PENN these will drop into the SSV if desired when they eventually become available as spare parts.
    :cool:
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    Tunanorth wrote: »

You really didn't respond to the remark.

#1. Penn has a rich history of adding a suffix when modifying an existing line which is what it looks like they did here.

#2. While the name "Conquer" has all positive connotations, "Clash" besides being rather unimaginative IMO, does not.

But enough beating a dead horse.

Having said all that, the *ahem,* Clash looks like it's made from good stuff, and for whatever reason, the pics in the link you provided seem to offer a different profile than the OP, making it look more SSVish than Conquer.

And what happened to the Slammer drag? I thought this was a big deal moving forward, and Penn didn't see fit to put it in their #2 Spinning reel?
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
  • PENNPENN Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Other than being a spinning reel at a similar price point the Clash reel has nothing to do with the Conquer....hence the reason we didn't add a suffix.

Slammer drag = a lot of additional weight....and big drag numbers. Neither of which we were trying to accomplish with this project.

Mike
    jcanracer wrote: »
    This caught my eye from that post you linked:
    and per PENN these will drop into the SSV if desired when they eventually become available as spare parts.

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?196050-PENN-2016-New-Product-Intro-CLASH#ixzz3h3e3HhIH :cool:

I'll be tickled if the SSV spool is "drop in" also: Powerful drag, powerful gears. Lighter weight. Hmm...
    PENN wrote: »
    Other than being a spinning reel at a similar price point the Clash reel has nothing to do with the Conquer....hence the reason we didn't add a suffix.

Slammer drag = a lot of additional weight....and big drag numbers. Neither of which we were trying to accomplish with this project.

Mike

Initially I looked at this as an evolution of the Conquer, but I guess it's really an upgrade of sorts to the conflict? Am I getting this right?
    nuevowavo wrote:
    SSV spool will not interchange.

If you were looking for a reel in our range to compare to....Conflict would be the closest based on price point and features. Clash is quite different than Conflict however......lighter, CNC gears, slow Oscillation, more bearings, etc.

Mike
  • HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
    I'll stick with my spinfisherV

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  • DTATASMDTATASM Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    When will the Clash 2500 be available? I will be purchasing as soon as possible and maybe a 5000 if I like 2500.
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
    In the next 2-3 weeks we will begin shipping the 2500s.
    Mike
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    DTATASM wrote: »
    When will the Clash 2500 be available? I will be purchasing as soon as possible and maybe a 5000 if I like 2500.

Exactly what I'm waiting for.....2000 or 2500 size... I go by Strike Zone daily to look into the counter. I like what I see in the 3000 but it's not the size I want for my 9'6" Glooms salmon rod I use from the tower of my boat.
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
    Slug-O wrote: »
    Exactly what I'm waiting for.....2000 or 2500 size... I go by Strike Zone daily to look into the counter. I like what I see in the 3000 but it's not the size I want for my 9'6" Glooms salmon rod I use from the tower of my boat.

I'm waiting for the 2500 can't wait to pair it up with a 7'6 Star rod Seagis 6-14# line medium light for soft plastics on the flats. I keep checking Strike Zone as well hoping they will have it. I'm probably gonna end up purchasing a Battle 2 3000 with 15# braid as well to put on my 7'6 Star rod Stellar Lite 8-17# line medium action for plugs
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
    Does anyone know if Strike Zone in Melbourne has gotten them in yet?