Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Cook Time and Suggestions for A 5 LB Butt?

Dave1Dave1 Posts: 157 Deckhand
I have a 5 1/4 lb uncovered/unwrapped Boston Butt on our medium size BGE right now and am hoping for a good dinner tonight. I am using a plate setter with feet up with drip pan, BGE lump, seasoned with Byron's Butt Rub. Put the butt on at 9:30 AM this morning with the BGE sitting on 230. Just checked it and the dome temp has krept up to 250. I have a stab in type internal temp thermometer but haven't checked it yet. I am hoping for dinner at 6PM this evening.

Any suggestions for anything I should do during the cook time? Should I rotate it during the cook? Add smoke chips? Should I foil wrap it at any time during the cook? I planned to take it off the grill, foil and towel wrap and place in a cooler around 4 PM and let it sit the last two hours before meal time.

Dave

Replies

• rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    Dave1, you're right on track. All I suggest is add a little apple juice or chicken stock when you foil then put it back on the EGG for about 10 minutes. Towel and cooler for two hours sounds good. It will still be hot when you go to pull it. Oh, did you add any smoke wood at the begining?
  • Dave1Dave1 Posts: 157 Deckhand
    No, I forgot to pick up any wood smoke chips at the store and the hickory I had at the house was riddled with what appears to be termites so, I didn't have anything to use. I could go get some chips if it is not too late.

Dave
    Dave1 wrote: »
    No, I forgot to pick up any wood smoke chips at the store and the hickory I had at the house was riddled with what appears to be termites so, I didn't have anything to use. I could go get some chips if it is not too late.

Dave

Don't worry about it then. When you go to wrap add some more rub and some type of liquid. I'm talking about 1/4 cup or so.
    At 4:30 pm and after seven hours at about 250 the internal temp was a little over 190. Double wrapped with foil, poured in some apple juice, sealed up, and put it in a warmed up oven. Will leave there for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Keeping fingers crossed it turns out OK. Will report results later.

Dave
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Hard to screw up a butt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    I over ate and now feel like a fat dawg. That was some kind of good. Best butt I have ever done. I am sure it could have been better, but there was nothing wrong with that. The sweet apple juice (1 cup of Motts) at the end gave it just a tad of sweetness that I liked. Thanks Rbrickle for that suggestion. There is enough left over for a good lunch or dinner tomorrow. I like that stuff. The BGE did well, basically set it and forget it. Never opened the lid until time to take it out. Internal temp was just over 190.

The first couple of butts I tried didn't come out very good. They were eatable, but not falling apart tender and juicy. I think my mistake with those was trying to cook them too hot too fast.

I have a couple of hams off of wild hogs in the freezer. I may try one of them with a long slow cook and see how it turns out. Wild hog is very lean and they tend to dry out so not sure what to expect.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints and the general outdoor cooking information all have posted here.

Dave
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    good deal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Good thread. I just got a BGE on Saturday (XL!) and I'm thrilled with it. Did baby backs with the "Car Wash Mike" recipe from the BGE forum on Sunday. Indirect, long, slow cook and very tasty. Last night I fired it up hot and direct and did Porterhouses for 2 1/2 minutes per side. After a brief rest under foil, they were killer! I love the BGE. My rotten old gas grill went out to the trash this am, I gave my Weber kettle to a friend and my smoker is going one of the same two places. The BGE can do all three tasks, easier and better. Wish I got one years ago. Next weekend I'm going to do a butt. The idea of a little added moisture during foiling sounds terrific.
    jakedge wrote: »
    Good thread. I just got a BGE on Saturday (XL!) and I'm thrilled with it. Did baby backs with the "Car Wash Mike" recipe from the BGE forum on Sunday. Indirect, long, slow cook and very tasty. Last night I fired it up hot and direct and did Porterhouses for 2 1/2 minutes per side. After a brief rest under foil, they were killer! I love the BGE. My rotten old gas grill went out to the trash this am, I gave my Weber kettle to a friend and my smoker is going one of the same two places. The BGE can do all three tasks, easier and better. Wish I got one years ago. Next weekend I'm going to do a butt. The idea of a little added moisture during foiling sounds terrific.

Another Hooked EGGER!!!!
    :thumbsup