Home Egret Boats

Rod Locker Latches

DazDaz Posts: 108 Deckhand
Anybody have any ideas or suggestions as to where to source replacement locking latches for the rod lockers on my 167? I'm also looking to replace a few of the little "pads" under the fwd deck locker lid (to get rid of a squeak when I step on it).

I've emailed Egret directly and through their website without receiving any response.
Daz

Egret 167 c/K
41' Island Packet cutter

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Daz wrote: »
    Anybody have any ideas or suggestions as to where to source replacement locking latches for the rod lockers on my 167? I'm also looking to replace a few of the little "pads" under the fwd deck locker lid (to get rid of a squeak when I step on it).

I've emailed Egret directly and through their website without receiving any response.

Its a southco part originally designed as a bus latch (according to Southco). It is not a marine application and that is why they start to have performance and appearance issues fairly quickly requiring replacement. We used to buy several of them at once as they were cheap at less 10 each and replace them annually or so. But I always thought the latch was poorly conceived for the boat and after discussion with the mfg. finally realized why. They were not designed for boats. I went to a Southco 100% high end stainless locking latch that is really great but they only offer them now as min 100 piece orders. It used to be you could buy two at a time. I got mine for about 35 each but they will last forever and still look new after years. They also match the hinges and look much better than the black bus latch.
  • DazDaz Posts: 108 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info - 100 is about 98 more than I really need, but at least it's a start. ;-)

Daz
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 220 Deckhand
    You can also special order them through most marine centers but they will be marking them up also
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • Darkside18Darkside18 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Why don't you guys get together and tell frank to start buying the ss version. Then everyone who owns an egret can upgrade and Frank can put the rest on the new boats. Manufacturers only change when people complain enough otherwise they think it's ok.
    Egret landing can you take a pic for everyone to see. If I end up with an egret I'll be looking to do the same.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Darkside18 wrote: »
    Why don't you guys get together and tell frank to start buying the ss version. Then everyone who owns an egret can upgrade and Frank can put the rest on the new boats. Manufacturers only change when people complain enough otherwise they think it's ok.
    Do you even Egret bro? :)
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I recently addressed the rod locker squeaking by using the little circular gel pads you buy with adhesive backing. They were not only effective to eliminate noise but they significantly minimize the impact of slamming when new people are on the boat. New people on the boat usually slam them a couple of times thinking they have gas hinges I guess.

I'll post a pic soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm disappointed to hear that the rod locker latches aren't marine grade and will not last. I'm in to be part of a bulk purchase of the right part if anyone gets one together.

mbowers not anymore. If you read my post above it says if I end up with an Egret. One of many things that bothered me when I owned my 189 C/K egret. It's an issue that should be addressed when buying a 60K+ skiff. I'm not saying it's not a nice rig or I won't be in the market. Just saying when customers express their opinions it helps the manufacturers (even the very best) improve their products.
    mbowers not anymore. If you read my post above it says if I end up with an Egret. One of many things that bothered me when I owned my 189 C/K egret. It's an issue that should be addressed when buying a 60K+ skiff. I'm not saying it's not a nice rig or I won't be in the market. Just saying when customers express their opinions it helps the manufacturers (even the very best) improve their products.

The photos and discussion of the stainless latches have been posted a number of times in the past and you can search the previous threads. These were taken when we were just getting them fit for size etc. As you can see you need to modify the hole a little with the two wings. Other than that it fits the existing rectangle perfectly. I was the first to install them and then Bryan George followed suit. We are the only ones as far as I know that installed them on an Egret. There was more interest after that but I think the fact that they started requiring a larger lot to purchase killed the option for them. I think someone did also approach Egret to get a bulk purchase done but as far as I know that went nowhere. One owner I spoke with said he had discussed it directly with Frank and Frank preferred the stock latches that have always been used. Something about architectural flow etc did not work for him. Not sure if that is really the case or not as I never spoke with Frank about it. The stainless performs very well and heads and tails better than the stock with no deterioration and they look new year after year. Zero rust after years of use compared to the non marine application which deteriorates quickly. A few of the choices made by the mfg for current design and hardware make zero sense to many but at least the latches are easy to fix. They are a classic example of an easy fix/upgrade for no substantive pricing difference that could be done if a bunch of owners or Egret agreed to chip in on behalf of owners looking to upgrade to get a bulk purchase. The rear hatch for the bilge is another easy fix that most think should have been addressed with a custom application that matches the boat as the stock part is a plastic aftermarket patch that leaks and does not match the overall fit and finish of the rigs; IMO, like the stock latch, I think it has no business being installed on an expensive rig that purports itself to compete with the best. You would never find one on a HB or similar. But these things are relatively minor that an owner can address on their own if they like. It would be nice if owners had at least an option by the mfg so they could avoid having to deal with it. It is not like it doesn't come up every few months by someone and it certainly isn't like owners don't appreciate build options and it definitely is not like many Egret owners are not a bit particular about what is on their boat.

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg
    Those are very nice. Seen them before on other boats and they work great. Didn't know it would fit the standard egret hole with little modification. Thanks.
    Glenn, you're sure these are not available in small lots right? I saw Pete's well, er, "deteriorated" hatch latches when I was shopping for my Egret and they bothered me. I even asked frank if I could just get small handles or something since I don't care about locking and Frank didn't seem to think it was a good idea.

I would definitely like to address this on my rig if anyone needs me to pitch in let me know.

Totally agree but the choir you're preaching to only has 1% of owners in it.
    As best I can see the original latches are marine grade on Southco's web site. Maybe not saltwater grade just freshwater grade. Can you give more info on the school bus use situation Egret's Landing?

I've had decent luck by keeping them well greased with white lithium grease in a spray can.* This soap dodger understands mechanical maintenance very well. The OCD soapaphile that had my old boat did not understand mechanical maintenance and his latches were in terrible shape at the same age compared to my latches on my new boat.

I got replacements from Malibu once for the old boat when Egret was not building boats so other builders do use them for "marine" applications.*
    mbowers wrote: »
    As best I can see the original latches are marine grade on Southco's web site. Maybe not saltwater grade just freshwater grade. Can you give more info on the school bus use situation Egret's Landing?

I've had decent luck by keeping them well greased with white lithium grease in a spray can.* This soap dodger understands mechanical maintenance very well. The OCD soapaphile that had my old boat did not understand mechanical maintenance and his latches were in terrible shape at the same age compared to my latches on my new boat.

I got replacements from Malibu once for the old boat when Egret was not building boats so other builders do use them for "marine" applications.*

I went down to the distributor and the rep provided me with a lot of pointed insight into what these latches were typically purchased for and it was for buses (like greyhound kind of buses for luggage compartments or something like that) - not boats. He showed me a photo of them on a bus. When I showed him they were going into saltwater open rigs he thought it was a very poor application and I think most of us have found that to be the truth. They were always trouble for me from an appearance and performance perspective anyway and spraying the inside never worked for very long. I have looked into the southco stainless latches a couple of times over the last couple of years and in both cases found they were not available from Southco unless you order a min 100 latches. We searched the nationwide inventory a couple of different times for any in stock anywhere and could not find one. I am sure there are other options to this latch. I must have looked through 10 or 12 pretty big catalogs of all kinds of stainless hardware from different mfg. including Southco. So. Co. makes them locking and without a lock and it just so happened the hole is almost a match for the bus latch so I ended up getting these. I have not lubricated those latches once in over 5 yrs and they still look like the photo and operate like new. The only issue with the install is you do have to fabricate a small piece of wood or fiberglass to the bottom of the hatch for the arm to lock on to which is not too challenging.

The other option (if the bus latch is generally OK for you) is just to get a bunch of them and replace them as soon as they start getting sticky or begin to chip.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Right after I picked my boat up from Frank, I went to the glades and fished it for a week straight. Within 3 days the rod locker latches were very sticky. I sprayed a little Corrosion Blocker on them and they have been perfect for the last 3 years with only one additional application. I do a decent amount of fresh water fishing but I do fish the Glades or Keys about 25 days a year and run my raw water wash down all over them cleaning up.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    After 3 years, I'm still ok w/ the standard latches.
    Knock on wood.
    Egret, are your new latches locking?
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    After 3 years, I'm still ok w/ the standard latches.
    Knock on wood.
    Egret, are your new latches locking?[/QUOTE

They are about 5 yrs old now but yes they lock.
    Egret's Landing: Did you seal the exposed core as should be done?

For everyone else, if one reads the installation instructions at http://www.southco.com/en-us/c5 one will learn a lot about correct installation. There are gaskets for the C5 Soutchco latches which are required for waterproof installations. I purchased mine at uglyfish and also the rubber bumpers that provide a less noisy latching and reduce wear. Once I'm done with the rebuild and have properly installed new latches we'll see how long they last. Nothing lasts long when water is needlessly allowed to penetrate the installation. There's a dustcap that might be a good option to increase protection from the elements.

http://www.uglyfishinc.com/southco-sealed-lever-rv-compression-latches-p/c5-xx-xx.htm

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Egret's Landing: Did you seal the exposed core as should be done?

For everyone else, if one reads the installation instructions at http://www.southco.com/en-us/c5 one will learn a lot about correct installation. There are gaskets for the C5 Soutchco latches which are required for waterproof installations. I purchased mine at uglyfish and also the rubber bumpers that provide a less noisy latching and reduce wear. Once I'm done with the rebuild and have properly installed new latches we'll see how long they last. Nothing lasts long when water is needlessly allowed to penetrate the installation. There's a dustcap that might be a good option to increase protection from the elements.

http://www.uglyfishinc.com/southco-sealed-lever-rv-compression-latches-p/c5-xx-xx.htm

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

It looks like Southco made some improvements to this compression design from the ones they used to make. I don't recall if there was a gasket on the latches that were originally installed on my rig. Perhaps this updated design works better. The description seems to indicate it is suitable for a marine application. I changed mine out about 6 years ago and never looked back. My current stainless locking latches still look and operate today just like they did at the installation. When I did the research back then, I dont believe this southco marine compression latch was available. The Southco rep showed me the old bus latch but the description was not the same as the version you posted. If it works well and it is offered in a 316 stainless, that could be the ticket - I am not a fan of the black finish they used to have as it is was prone to chipping. I think matching the stainless hinges makes more sense unless you have other black powder coated metal on your boat.
    It looks like Southco made some improvements to this compression design from the ones they used to make. I don't recall if there was a gasket on the latches that were originally installed on my rig. Perhaps this updated design works better. The description seems to indicate it is suitable for a marine application. I changed mine out about 6 years ago and never looked back. My current stainless locking latches still look and operate today just like they did at the installation. When I did the research back then, I dont believe this southco marine compression latch was available. The Southco rep showed me the old bus latch but the description was not the same as the version you posted. If it works well and it is offered in a 316 stainless, that could be the ticket - I am not a fan of the black finish they used to have as it is was prone to chipping. I think matching the stainless hinges makes more sense unless you have other black powder coated metal on your boat.

I'm not a fan of coated aluminum either but if properly mounted with gaskets and caulk it can be OK. Are your latches SS316 or chromed brass as was mentioned offline by a certain Egret soapaphile who claims to have found them for his boat. :)
    I'm not a fan of coated aluminum either but if properly mounted with gaskets and caulk it can be OK. Are your latches SS316 or chromed brass as was mentioned offline by a certain Egret soapaphile who claims to have found them for his boat. :)

The South Co. ones I have are all 316. I have the latest South Co catalog and those C5 compression latches they are still using at the factory are not made in Stainless. They come in zinc alloy, black powder coated or chrome plated and steel, zinc plated. The flange gasket is required to achieve the seal required for a marine app but they still start to stick pretty quickly.

It appears they are now offering an N2 compression latch that is offered in 316 Stainless that is a folding flush T handle Cup style. It requires a larger hole to fit about 4" x 4". but overall is very similar to what I have. Southco.com/n2.
    I was on a 2008 Egret the other day. Owner runs a very clean boat. Latches were shot. Hopefully there are good stainless options by the time mine crap out without having to buy in bulk. I would have paid for something better from the factory had it been available.

I actually asked Frank about putting something simpler and more durable wo a lock (because I had seen Pete's) but he preferred the standard Southco's

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I was on a 2008 Egret the other day. Owner runs a very clean boat. Latches were shot. Hopefully there are good stainless options by the time mine crap out without having to buy in bulk. I would have paid for something better from the factory had it been available.

I actually asked Frank about putting something simpler and more durable wo a lock (because I had seen Pete's) but he preferred the standard Southco's

Actually, I prefer the Stainless one's that are on my to do list. I can't tell you how many times I've changed them out in 20 years. No sense in changing crap for crap.
    I'm still up to participate in a bulk purchase with the lions share going to Frank if someone can convince him.

• gal218gal218 Posts: 105 Officer
    My 189 is about 6 months old. When this thread started, I checked my rod locker latches and determined they were not operating as smoothly as when new. I sprayed both with some "Corrosion Block"...it made a significant difference...the keys now turn easily and the latches operate like new. I think a little preventive maintenance will go a long way towards keeping them "like new".
    gal218 wrote: »
    My 189 is about 6 months old. When this thread started, I checked my rod locker latches and determined they were not operating as smoothly as when new. I sprayed both with some "Corrosion Block"...it made a significant difference...the keys now turn easily and the latches operate like new. I think a little preventive maintenance will go a long way towards keeping them "like new".

I did the spray thing for years. I think you will find that it will help for sure but eventually the spray is just not going to fix them any more or it will last for shorter and shorter durations. The spray wont fix the chipping on the powder coating either that is so common. If not inclined to upgrade them to a latch that will outlast them by multiples, best to just get a bunch of the stock latches now and have them handy to replace. They are not that expensive and that is why they require the maintenance and the performance deteriorates quickly. By comparison, the high end 316 latches require no spray ever and work like new after years. They also match the hinges. Thus, from an overall design and functionality perspective, the stainless latches are superior in every way to the stock latches.
    I did the spray thing for years. I think you will find that it will help for sure but eventually the spray is just not going to fix them any more or it will last for shorter and shorter durations. The spray wont fix the chipping on the powder coating either that is so common. If not inclined to upgrade them to a latch that will outlast them by multiples, best to just get a bunch of the stock latches now and have them handy to replace. They are not that expensive and that is why they require the maintenance and the performance deteriorates quickly. By comparison, the high end 316 latches require no spray ever and work like new after years. They also match the hinges. Thus, from an overall design and functionality perspective, the stainless latches are superior in every way to the stock latches.

We tried to SouthCo to make the same latch in stainless. But as you can see Egret couldn't compete with 2 latches per boat to the number of latches on bussses and RV's.
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    I wonder how long Plastidip would hold up. I know some folks use it on their cars for all kinds of silly things.
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    Monoman wrote: »
    I wonder how long Plastidip would hold up. I know some folks use it on their cars for all kinds of silly things.

Don't waste your time trying to make chicken soup outta chicken $hait... Fix it right one time just like Egret Landing did and forget it.