Home Egret Boats

best Year of the 189

2»

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    rbtbryan wrote: »
    3 Flyrods, One 12, 2-10's, 5 Spinning rigs, 2 heavy high speed offshore rods.
    Easily hits that mark! I'm pretty particular about my gear. Not to mention the boat!

Sounds like you're ready for any situation. With 3 to 5 more rods and two cast nets and you'll be ready to do charters.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 219 Deckhand
    I don't think you need latches, tape or wood screws. I'm pushing 70 to 75 depending on traffic and my hatches stay closed.
    It's not the trailering but the bumping along at high speed on the water.

rbtbryan: I was thinking in a different direction
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    The only latch on a Florida hull that I had trouble with at high speed was the seat that would get forced open by all the drag on the back rest that was mounted through the hatch. The new design with the back rest through the deck between hatches is a great improvement once a strap is added between the uprights to keep the backrest from flying out when someone leans on it.

Pete drives fast enough to rip fenders off of trailers so I don't think he's going less than 105 mph. :)
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 234 Deckhand
    On the backrest, you can also put a small "push pin" through the uprights so the backrest can't come out without pulling the pins......that's what I did with mine and I like it.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    The only latch on a Florida hull that I had trouble with at high speed was the seat that would get forced open by all the drag on the back rest that was mounted through the hatch. The new design with the back rest through the deck between hatches is a great improvement once a strap is added between the uprights to keep the backrest from flying out when someone leans on it.

Pete drives fast enough to rip fenders off of trailers so I don't think he's going less than 105 mph. :)

Sounds like you've seen me drive. :grin I'm trying to make up for a slow boat. You know the "Tide"waits for no man. Tight lines... Pete
    On the backrest, you can also put a small "push pin" through the uprights so the backrest can't come out without pulling the pins......that's what I did with mine and I like it.

That lets water into that compartment though which is the only dry compartment on the boat..
    Sounds like you're ready for any situation. With 3 to 5 more rods and two cast nets and you'll be ready to do charters.

Careful now! Cast nets are not allowed on the new boats because their presence will crack the gel coat. I've never used my cast net on the new boat, I carry it for just in case but the castanet is the factory specified reason for my cracked gel coat..
    camgci wrote: »
    Two of the minor features of the older Egrets I like are the deeper wells around the hatches (how nice it is everything staying dry during wash downs and not having to empty them each time) and the hatch catches that don't require turning a knob every time to open and close. I have never had mine fly open running or at highway speeds.

The shallower gutter wells are not the cause of the water in the hatches of the new boats. It's not the thin gaskets on the wrong side of the seal either. Watch the video. :Spittingcoffee