Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

NW Florida archery buck... 10 point

Shot this guy Sunday 10/25... our opening weekend. Tried to connect with a bear Saturday, but was not lucky enough to come across one during the one day season.

Long story short, I got a bit high and forward on this buck at 30 yards. Not only this, but he was coming at me a touch. NOT a scenario you want to get high and forward on. I thought I heard him crash in really thick stuff. I gave it about an hour and then looked for a couple hours. Only blood I found was about 60 yards from shot. It was smeared across reeds and grass in swampy area next to high and dry knoll. Looked like he'd bedded there for a minute. Didn't see any aspirated blood, just wiped. Arrowed a buck 11/11/2011 that did the exact same thing. I trailed him for over 800 yards as crow flies the next day. Needless to say I didn't feel real positive about this one. There was very little penetration and given where it looked like arrow hit, I was bummed.

Well, I went back on Thursday to try again. Jumped some buzzards and then knew it was a matter of time before I stumbled across him. Well, about 45 minutes ago I found him. Ended up using my nose as much as anything. I would have found him that night with a dog. Oh well. Sucks, but at least I have antlers.

For a legitimate 10 point he sure didn't score well. Fairly symmetrical. Okay mass. Just very little tine length. Still pleased with him.

10pointA_zpsx0qdmnjv.jpg

10%20point2_zpsob5syot4.jpg

10%20point4_zpshpegpuce.jpg

10%20point3_zpsjmrjuyfe.jpg

G2s sway back kinda weird.

10%20point5_zpsgrsufext.jpg
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,114 Captain
    Nice panhandle buck! Good mass and shorter tines is usually typical of an older buck that has started to decline due to age.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Heck yeah!! I'd take him any day......especially with a bow. Hate that you couldn't find him for 4 days. That just sucks! But it happens sometimes. At least you finally came across him & got the antlers.

Congrats!

Livin' the Dream !