First time fishing the Islamorada humps. Looking for advice

Hey guys,
So my Key Largo trip went a little south last week with the wind and swells. Just managed to put my folks on some snapper and smaller things in areas protected from the seas.

My lady was a little sad because she's been dreaming of reeling in something big. I've been hot to get on some blackfins so I thought what better spot than the humps off islamorada. I've only been out there once on my buddies boat and we just briefly passed over them to go bottom fishing in 800-1000ft. We did hook into a small blackfin when we trolled some ballyhoo over the humps for like 30minutes.

I'm already planning a trip Early-Mid November for Islamorada. And could use some advice on finding the tuna. I see all the humps when I check the spot in my gps, but are there any specific ones that hold the tuna over other humps? Should I be looking for birds and bait hitting the surface or focus on dropping some vertical jigs over the humps?

I'm not very familiar with the area and any advice/tips are appreciated
Turtle Time -
236cc Key Largo - 200HP Mercury
JKbIqtU.jpg

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,844 Captain
    Birds sure help us find blackfins and skipjacks
  • airinairin Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    You'll see the boats there if its a good day. Blacking out your live well with pilchards and live chumming is your best bet.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,498 Captain
    take a at least 500 pilchards
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CaptainHeikoCaptainHeiko Posts: 131 Deckhand
    take a at least 500 pilchards

Oh man my livewell is tiny. Does cut pilchards work? I can bring boatloads of dead ones lolol
    Turtle Time -
    236cc Key Largo - 200HP Mercury
    JKbIqtU.jpg
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,498 Captain
    they wont hit the dead ones- rig up a well w/ a big drum. etc.
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nickdeenickdee Posts: 30 Deckhand
    pilchards are u best bet. chumming with some live ones. should get the bf behind the boat . hook a live one and let it swim . If you dont have pilchards or a live well You should be able to troll some up . small feathers rubber sand eels. should work.
  • southseassouthseas Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    don't sweat it if you cant find pilch. we usually don't bother and catch more than we want. birds, birds, birds.....if theyre moving fast and stop and fast and stop...its tuna. use black/purple feathers or dark mini-turbo billybaits. the secret is to put them wayyyyyyyy back....wayyyy back. 150+ yards. you'll get 'em. have a blast man!!!
  • FreeLifeFreeLife Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Southseas is dead on. Many days in Nov, Dec, Jan are windy and finding the pilchards in the morning before heading out is a problem. Balc feathers 400 feet back. Watch how the school is moving. Circle in front of them and then motor down the side, dragging the feathers across the school Sushi on!!
  • Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 296 Deckhand
    I'm in Piners camp.It's a fair ways to the humps.Go loaded for bear(w/pichards).Last time we went we had 2 live wells packed with ballys and gogs and it was no good. The charters next to us were live baiting like crazy(w/pilchards) and their bite was on (until the sharks showed up).We left and found a huge weed line nearby and chummed the gogs till we found mahi.(the best mahi bite we've ever had).If your wife is going with bring a shark rod and some cuda and should be able to put her on a shark.Good luck,Lu
  • tsaddictiontsaddiction Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Just got down today went by tavernier bridge and there was millions of pilchards.