Key Largo Lodging Question

My wife and I and our 3 kids are planning our annual trip to the keys in for early June. We are staying flying into Miami and staying in Marathon for a week. Airfare is the same if we fly in on Thursday instead of Saturday so we are thinking of coming in 2 days early and staying somewhere in the Key Largo area for 2 nights. We are on a budget so we are looking for something on the low end of cost. Anyone ever stay at the Key Largo Boatel? Its a place that rents houseboats for lodging. They are just for lodging, they stay tied up. I drove past the place once years ago but can't recall a lot about what I saw. Their website says they rent kayaks which sounds like fun. I will be shipping my fishing gear to meet me in Marathon so fishing those first couple of days will not be an option. Any input on this place or any other lodging options in the Key Largo area would be greatly appreciated.
My rod and my reel, they comfort me..... St. Pete:12# Test

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I like the Quality Inn in Florida City. It is 20 to 30 miles to Key Largo but you get a clean comfortable room for a moderate price.

I have never tried the Rodeway Inn in Key Largo, it also is moderately priced.

Your houseboat place sounds cool on Key Largo. I am staying tonight in one of the more expensive rooms in the Quality Inn and with tax it runs about 100 a night. You sound like me, you like to stay on the low end of cost. What does the Boatel run?
  • PerchguyPerchguy Posts: 166 Deckhand
    It is pretty cheap. Prices range from $85 to $105 per night. I saw some review on Trip Advisor of people that said they liked it and others that didn't but I have learned to pay almost zero attention to trip advisor. Be nice to hear from someone that has actually stayed there.
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    I cant say how nice they are on the inside but the outside looks very rustic :wink . And they sit right on largo sound with a nice view. they advertise $75.00 a night. there is a restaurant Called "the Hide out" right in front of the house boats that serves a killer Breakfast. Cash only though.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    http://www.pelicankeylargo.com/
    I stayed at this place for a bachelor party/weekend and it was basic but nice and clean; even has kayaks for guest use and a small ramp if you want to launch a small boat or kayaks.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • FreeLifeFreeLife Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    In all honesty, June early June is not the high season at all. Many of the small hotels along US 1 will be in the $100 per night range or less. You could stay almost anywhere in the Keys in that range at that time.
    I think we are going to give the Boatel a try. We will be there for just the first 2 nights of our 9 day stay and I know the place we are staying at the rest of the trip is nice so why not. The idea of being right on the water and having kayaks available intrigues me. Worst case, it is only 2 nights and we can struggle through that much if we need to. It isn't til summer but I will post the results of our stay.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,854 AG
    Stayed in Sunset cove back in July. Right on the gulf side. We stayed in the one way in the back, the only two bedroom they had. Had a lot of fun there as well.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Definitely stay away from the Key Largo Boatel!!!! Our plan was to rent a place in KCB from 6/11-6/18 and then rent a houseboat at the Boatel from 6/18-6/21. About 2 weeks before our trip I get an email from the Boatel that says they had a booking error and we couldn't have the houseboat we requested but they had another one that we could rent. Not the one I wanted but I thought not a big deal, we will take the other one. We flew down from Wisconsin and were enjoying our stay in KCB. Two days before we are to check into the houseboat at the Key Largo Boatel, I get another email from them and they again tell me they had a booking error and have to cancel our reservation! At this point I have no where to stay. I call them up and the person there says this happens all the time and suggests I call a place right down the road. "They always have some places open" she says. I call and of course they are booked solid! A reputable place would have already made the calls and would have been able to direct me to a place the actually had an open room, but not so with the Key Largo Boatel! At this point I called the place we were renting from in KCB (Conch Realty) and thankfully they had a very nice house available so disaster was averted. When Key Largo Boatel cancelled our reservation, they claimed that they had refunded our deposit to our credit card. When I checked my account, no credit has been received so now I am fighting with them to get my refund. In no uncertain terms, STAY AWAY FROM KEY LARGO BOATEL!!!!!!!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,854 AG
    Well that sucks, i hate it when people have a bad experience.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Thanks for the heads up on the bad customer service at that place. I hope you get your money back.
  • buzzard302buzzard302 Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    That sucks, sorry to hear about your experience. Look at the most recent google reviews, looks bad!