Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

ML 10/25 out of Haulover

Headed out Sunday morning with mud minnows, mullet, artificials and a good attitude. Headed north out of Haulover Canal and wetted lines at sunrise. Water clarity was bad. Threw a yellow/silver mirorlure paddletail in to see how bad and i couldn't see it until it was 4" from the surface.

One undersized trout, 3 catfish in 6 hours. Moved 4 times 2 north of the canal and two south trying different lures, always had live bait and cut bait in the water. As we were heading in saw a tarpon about 75 yds away, and saw enough Manatees to last a lifetime, surfacing all around us.

Sorry it's not a better report, but that's all there is to tell.
People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Replies

• mcsnookmcsnook Posts: 175 Deckhand
    I was out north of haulover on the IRL side, water clarity sucked, lucky to get 2reds on cut lady fish. Saw no manatees, but dolphin everywhere, young, old, chasing, exploding, aggressive, scarin everything in the area. Little different than sea world
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,799 AG
    mcsnook wrote: »
    I was out north of haulover on the IRL side, water clarity sucked, lucky to get 2reds on cut lady fish. Saw no manatees, but dolphin everywhere, young, old, chasing, exploding, aggressive, scarin everything in the area. Little different than sea world

We thought about cutting over into the IRL but at 1200, we were done. The wind has been so bad, it's just kicked up all the sediment and you can't see anything. Frustrating, but we'll be back.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • WhooperWhooper Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Man ML sight fishing is as hard as it gets right now. Hopefully a front or two will clear it up. :shrug
  • CharlotteCharlotte Posts: 28 Deckhand
    My husband and I were there yesterday also. Saw a few tailing near the islands, got one small one to eat a gulp shrimp. The few others we seen wouldn't take it. Drifted over the pole and troll zone with only three tiny trout. Seems like the red fishing has got worse since the water has cooled off. At least for us it has.
  • WhooperWhooper Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Charlotte,

I do not believe the water has "cooled" off yet. Yes it has gotten a few degrees colder, however we need a real nice cold snap to get the water to clear back up.