Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

How to Fish At Sebastian Inlet

Hello everyone. I just wanted to ask for some tips on how to fish at Sebastian inlet. I have been fishing there about 10 or so times and I have caught only one snook on an artificial hooked by the stomach. I really want to learn how to fish the area because of the bigger game fish. Snook is what I am really after and I want to ask everyone to give me tips on jigging and live baiting. Thank You guys I really appreciate anyone who gives tips to a novice like me and sharing their secrets. Happy Fishing

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I have had some success with live mullet and pinfish
  • AlleniAlleni Posts: 344 Deckhand
    bring a lot of extra tackle and plan on losing most of it. Haven't fished there in years but I always liked bucktails and large diving plugs
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,358 Officer
    Alleni wrote: »
    bring a lot of extra tackle and plan on losing most of it. Haven't fished there in years but I always liked bucktails and large diving plugs
    This^^^
    Also be patient and watch other successful people fishing there and learn the tricks, that is what I am doing now I am also trying to learn the inlet better. Another tip is to go to strike zone in melbourne at pick up some of the hand tied buck tails they sell they are about the best I have found.
    D&R has a bunch of cheap bucktails, jig heads, and soft plastics by the pound. Throw jigs up current and keep them as close to the bottom as possible, and try not to get hung up (easier said then done). I would either free line live bait or use a pinch weight. 90% of the fish I used to catch there have been on artificials
  • yuongkikim97yuongkikim97 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    i have tried using bucktails so many times and i have gotten hung up and i have never really gotten any hits. also what do you mean by d and r? I also appreciate everyone's comments thank you so much
    D&R is a hole in the wall tackle shop off eau gallie in Indian Harbor Beach. Bucktails and jigs are very effective but also frustrating. Try using big plugs like xrap14 of windcheaters
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,664 AG
    Hello everyone. I just wanted to ask for some tips on how to fish at Sebastian inlet. I have been fishing there about 10 or so times and I have caught only one snook on an artificial hooked by the stomach. I really want to learn how to fish the area because of the bigger game fish. Snook is what I am really after and I want to ask everyone to give me tips on jigging and live baiting. Thank You guys I really appreciate anyone who gives tips to a novice like me and sharing their secrets. Happy Fishing

Don't try to re-invent the wheel...*WATCH* the locals who are always on the fish...duplicate what you see....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Don't try to re-invent the wheel...*WATCH* the locals who are always on the fish...duplicate what you see....

In another thread we talk about what a drag it can be to have so many folks fishing Sebastian, but that is a positive, it can be a learning experience to see what is getting caught
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 539 Officer
    i have tried using bucktails so many times and i have gotten hung up and i have never really gotten any hits. also what do you mean by d and r? I also appreciate everyone's comments thank you so much

There is a definite art to this. I know it took me a LONG time to get it down, and I lost a lot of jigs in the process. I eventually got there by timing how long it took for the bucktail to sink to the bottom (definitely some trial and error here), and carefully watching my retrieval speed and adjusting accordingly. Eventually you will get the feel for the right combination of sinking time and retrieval speed that keeps the jig just above the bottom, with the occasional bounce or two. Before you know it that 1000th rock that you think you snagged, will start swimming up current. :wink
    Florida Impressions | Adventuring in the Sunshine State