Thursday Fun

Went out in Homosassa Bay Thursday to try my luck with the trout. Weather was very nice right after a cool front moved through. Usually can't catch squat the next dreaded "bluebird" day, but had good luck anyway. Most all were caught on a popping cork. My wife and I always have a contest to see who outdoes who. She always tips with shrimp, but I don't. Well I don't and still put a whoopin' on her. Got out about 10:00 and caught our limit fish at 2:00 exactly.
Went Friday with the "Master Mullet Catcher", My brother-in-law, for my first lesson in catching mullet on a hook. That was exciting. Had no idea that could be so much fun. Ended up with 9 big hogs. I will do that again. Pretty messy though.
Saturday went back out trout fishing and all the keepers had moved somewhere and the shorts took over the place. Had to have caught 15 fish but only 2 came home with us.
Here's my try at posting pics, so you all will see what I have or haven't learned. Only took pics of Thursdays catch.

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    Good to see some Trout back on the flats....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,471 Officer
    Nice trout catch!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,549 Moderator
    Mullet fishing is FUN . I haven't done it in a long time and although messy, is a hoot.
    Always said if I could invent a lure that mullet would bite I could make a million. :grin

Thanks for the report .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Quad32xQuad32x Anthony , FloridaPosts: 108 Deckhand
    Nice job man !
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,437 Officer
    Good job before the wind got out of control.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,769 Captain
    Awesome trip Guy! Glad to see someone Catchin! Enjoy yer well earned trout dinner!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Nice Job looks like trout for dinner
    :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,438 Captain
    Very nice, thanks for the report. If you don't mind me asking, How do you catch mullet with hook and line? I've read about people chumming them with oatmeal or something like that and using a fly that looks like the chum. Also curious, where does the mess come from? I've only caught mullet in a cast net, which is also messy, but probably not the same. Thanks again
    You should have been here yesterday
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 550 Officer
    Very nice, thanks for the report. If you don't mind me asking, How do you catch mullet with hook and line? I've read about people chumming them with oatmeal or something like that and using a fly that looks like the chum. Also curious, where does the mess come from? I've only caught mullet in a cast net, which is also messy, but probably not the same. Thanks again

You use a small sliver of white plastic worm. Thread it on your hook and start throwing chum. They are very bloody.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,438 Captain
    You use a small sliver of white plastic worm. Thread it on your hook and start throwing chum. They are very bloody.

Wow, that's really interesting. Thanks. What are you using for chum and what size hooks are you using?
    You should have been here yesterday