Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

In the wind...

Well, the past couple days have had some real wind. The fish still need to eat and the wind was almost "manageable" for the first hour or two. When you have this much wind, Looking for wind current and wind shadows becomes the whole game really.
So, the past few days have been good numbers wise.....Lots of sub slot snook with 6, 8, or 10 the norm...everything from little 15 inches all the way up to " better measure it " size. Trout have been a little more difficult than usual but the size went way up...1 or 2 fish a trip...but nice size.
What has killed me is not being able to find a Red. Lots of fishing in known " spots " but just more and more snook...
So, Today the wind is already whippin' at grey light. I have 4 Snook boated before I find a trout...and this is where it has gone off the rails for days now...and with less spots available due to the wind...I'm hopeful yet not confident.
I was throwing a new color CAL that I picked up yesterday at CARP marine supply in Grant..looks like a great "dirty water" color so i put it to work...and...

20151020_092011_zpsuwqgxpiv.jpg

9:25...That makes 106....wind is a bear...On the trailer by 9:45
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• DeHavenDeHaven Posts: 253 Officer
    When I grow up I want to be like duckmanJR
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    Great job on #106 Joe especially is less than ideal conditions. I've kept her on the lift the past few days due to the wind - hope to get out tomorrow and Friday and look around.
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    nice sir !!

I left florida for a few days - had to run back to jersey to pick up the rest of my stuff and my big boat.i seen the wind forecast for the week - it didn't look good sir.i'll be headed home to florida on Thursday nite - hopefully the wind has died by that time
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,659 AG
    nice sir !!

I left florida for a few days - had to run back to jersey to pick up the rest of my stuff and my big boat.i seen the wind forecast for the week - it didn't look good sir.i'll be headed home to florida on Thursday nite - hopefully the wind has died by that time

The wind was down a bit from the past two or three days....but was a bit breezy by 9....Should have stayed put....but ran way south to look at some places down by where Net 30 lives...water was nicer...almost could see the bottom but only added a couple snook to the pile I had already caught. I was hopeful when my first fish of the morning was a trout....but then it was just a snook and a snook and....
    Wound up with 11 snook and a trout..and a ladyfish.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    Not sure if you've ever tried this yet, but go on google maps and map quest and use the satellite views to find nice wind protected areas and new spots to fish. I do it before every trip. I say use both because sometimes one has a more detailed image where you can see grass flats, bars, etc. Great tool not many people utilize.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    You go Joe. :hail
    AceDawg wrote: »
    Not sure if you've ever tried this yet, but go on google maps and map quest and use the satellite views to find nice wind protected areas and new spots to fish. I do it before every trip. I say use both because sometimes one has a more detailed image where you can see grass flats, bars, etc. Great tool not many people utilize.

Thank you...Yes, even if I had not lived here 35 years Google is cool.
    It is cool to look at Google earth and see how things are laid out...and really helpful to a new area.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    The wind was down a bit from the past two or three days....but was a bit breezy by 9....Should have stayed put....but ran way south to look at some places down by where Net 30 lives...water was nicer...almost could see the bottom but only added a couple snook to the pile I had already caught. I was hopeful when my first fish of the morning was a trout....but then it was just a snook and a snook and....
    Wound up with 11 snook and a trout..and a ladyfish.

nice sir !

i'll be back home in florida soon enough - looking for some snook !

got some good info from a commercial bait guy,concerning the snook

by the time i'm back and settled,the wind will have died and the water cleaned up
    nice sir !

i'll be back home in florida soon enough - looking for some snook !

got some good info from a commercial bait guy,concerning the snook

by the time i'm back and settled,the wind will have died and the water cleaned up

Well, not if you are coming back before Monday....wind till then at least.
    And going into winter....plan on wind every 5 or 6 days as fronts roll thru..... I'll be killing ducks.:wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    ran way south to look at some places down by where Net 30 lives...water was nicer...almost could see the bottom but only added a couple snook to the pile I had already caught.

Please show me some mercy and leave my fish alone….you have caught more than enough for the year! :wink
    Well, not if you are coming back before Monday....wind till then at least.
    And going into winter....plan on wind every 5 or 6 days as fronts roll thru..... I'll be killing ducks.:wink

little wind - that means I can organize the garage and set up the shed,when I get back to florida.this will be my first winter sir.one thing I know is: NO SNOW and ICE !!

if it's windy,i have a road king
    little wind - that means I can organize the garage and set up the shed,when I get back to florida.this will be my first winter sir.one thing I know is: NO SNOW and ICE !!

if it's windy,i have a road king

If you are retired...You'll be glad to know that the highest percentage of bad weather hits on the weekend...ask anyone working a 9-5 M-F.... :rotflmao
    You will be out on those Tuesdays that are the ones the chamber of commerce is so fond of. :wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    If you are retired...You'll be glad to know that the highest percentage of bad weather hits on the weekend...ask anyone working a 9-5 M-F.... :rotflmao
    You will be out on those Tuesdays that are the ones the chamber of commerce is so fond of. :wink

not old enough to retire sir - just a change of climates...

next step,find a job,or start my business up down in florida,haven't decided which way to go yet
    Well, the wind is still hootin'....water is terrible at best. I am struggling to find a Redfish bite most days.
    Yesterday was slow numbers wise.....but I did get 2 nice high teens Trout...then a little snook.....and while prospecting in filthy water for a Redfish. This...

20151022_103729_zpsiyb4pyuh.jpg

Sometimes you just have to be satisfied with a nice fish and call it a day.

Today, It is a slow start with a small snook first but a few casts later get a nice mid slot Trout...so like most days I am 2/3rds the way there and have some hope that I can get it done. Then it is a run of more small snook. I take a run to a place I know will have some wind shadow and hard bottom....and...

20151023_094910_zpsxnr8tgqh.jpg

Bunch of spots on this one.... Get one more snook...and quit at 10 with 6 snook a trout and a Red.....and that makes # 107
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled